Mystery object

Any ideas what this might be? It was found amongst items when clearing a house:

DerbyBorn

(That's wrapped a bit!)

Doesn't really help with ID very much...

Reply to
polygonum

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I think it MAY be a holder for sewing needles which would be pushed at right angles to the ridge and furrows.

I'd guess from the size tapestry or embroidery rather than mending needles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any ideas what this might be? It was found amongst items when clearing a house:

guess is a rudimentary cigarette case.

Reply to
Nthkentman

Or glass ampoules for filling such syringes?

Dave H. (the other one)

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

Reply to
Andy Bartlett

That probably makes more sense, given that the name on the case seems to be that of a pharmacist.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks so far, It is very small (see last photo with my thumb nail). If it was for pins then it would no longer open if they were inserted at right angles to the furrows. The name of the Chemist and the Castle picture rather suggests it is some sort of souvenir.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Could the ampoules have contained smelling salts rather than substances that needed a syringe?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I recall smelling salts being in a bottle, rather than in ampoules.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

together in a ruffled style when it's closed tells me it's for 'crimping', or holding something in a wavy form, ribbons etc.

Reply to
Phil L

Looks to be made like a milkman's "magic wallet", not sure what the tubes would be for though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The last time I saw smelling salts (in 1977) it was in a fabric-covered ampoule, which had to be broken to use.

Reply to
S Viemeister

For a magic wallet, you need one pair of the elastic straps to be crossed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Looks like it could be Mauchline Ware.

Mauchline was a town in Scotland that churned out the stuff which would tie in with the Inverary Chemist. (Which is Gooleable) If it wasn't for the Chemist label it could be a small pin/needle case. The pins/needles would be threaded through the folded material

Google Images page gives a better idea of the sort of examples of Mauchline Ware that turn up on TV antiques programmes rather than any web pages I've found. Around £20 tops if you're lucky.

michael adams

michael adams

Michael - many thanks for identifying it as Mauchline Ware. I have found the collector's club and have asked them what it it. (I may even sell it). Thanks.

Reply to
john.plant90

Looks about the right size for holding ampoules, amyl nitrate perhaps? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Reply to