Mystery DIY Object

Playing with the new macro lens I took a pic of this - but now I havent a clue what it could be!

almost certainly between 1/8" and 3/4" thick, and I'm pretty sure its diy related - but Im damned if I know what it was! Sure looks weird close up though

Any clues?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

That looks remarkably like shreds from one of my re-cycled milk bottles:-)

Half a two part corner block for self assembly furniture? Carefully balanced, if so, because they are not very long.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes,its a closeup photo of a piece of worktop from its side upside down. :-P

Reply to
George

Buffing soap?

Reply to
R D S

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com scribeth thus

End of a bit of worktop?..

Reply to
tony sayer

2nd clue time... I measured the yellow wire in the pic at 1mm diameter, so the object must be 3.2 - 3.5 mm thick.

Every time I look at it I think hardboard, but the rounded edge and corner dont fit with that, and AFAIK there isnt any hardboard where I took the pic... I think its just going to be an Unidentified Landed Object.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Modesty block?

Reply to
R D S

But how far away is the yellow wire from this unidentified object ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Washer - some sort of fibre plus ?

Looks like it has been stamped out - causing the rounding at the base and the sharp edge at the top.

Reply to
Rod

3mm wide off cut from a dusty vinyl floor tile? The vertical height in the image looks to be your 3mm but the depth into the image isn't much more than a mm or so, look at the shadow underneath and how close the wire is.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

2nd clue time... I measured the yellow wire in the pic at 1mm diameter, so the object must be 3.2 - 3.5 mm thick.

Every time I look at it I think hardboard, but the rounded edge and corner dont fit with that, and AFAIK there isnt any hardboard where I took the pic... I think its just going to be an Unidentified Landed Object.

NT

A carpet tile.

Reply to
George

Could it be that thing you left in front of the yellow wire - or the edge of your sandwich?

Reply to
John

Some good questions. From the pic I'd estimate its about 1mm behind the brown thing.

good point

FWIW the object was around 2" from the cam lens, might help firm up some of the dimensions a little.

I like some kind of rubber or fibre washer, though that doesnt seem to fit with the position of the yellow wire.

Could be a vinyl tile too - its not quite the colour I'd expect but those sort of colour shifts can happen.

I suspect this will forever be a mystery!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It appears to be something that has been turned from square fibre rod. The bottom and side look moulded, but the upper edge looks machined. The unfocused bit on the right of the picture looks like a turned spigot standing up from the centre of the square bit.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Very narrow sanding belt like on a B&D power file?

Reply to
John Rumm

I dont have anything like that, at least not in that sort of size. And for all the good suggestions there's one reason or another why it wouldnt be one of them - I really dont have a clue what it is ultimately :(

Strange how when you change scale its like being in another world. Reminds me of the shrunk man in some film fighting a spider using a sewing needle as a javelin.

NT

Reply to
meow2222