Mystery 3rd Pipe

The people who owned my house before me had the water tank(s) in the attic disconnected and a combi boiler installed. We now have three pipes capped halfway up the wall in the 2nd bedroom, which for obvious reasons I want to remove ! Two of these are obviously hot and cold (15mm) water pipes, one of which I've removed. The 3rd is a pretty wide pipe (well a lot bigger than

22mm anyway). Does anyone have any idea what it might be ? Would it be gas ? (I'm guessing the boiler used to be in this room)

Also I've noticed the pipe I've not removed is still connected to the mains (guess how I know that!), is it wise to cap it off under the floorboards, or would it be better to get it removed from where it joins the main (used?) piping in the house ?

Thanks

Séan

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Too big for gas - could it have been the feed/return to the cylinder?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not sure what you mean ?

Reply to
Séan Connolly

The hot water cylinder.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sorry my knowledge on these matters is pretty limited, I didn't understand what you ment by feed/return.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

In message , Séan Connolly writes

Whenever I've seen big fat pipes, they have usually been connections between the radiators in an old C/H system.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Actually here the rad pipes are 10mm

Reply to
Séan Connolly

Ah - it might have been the big pipe coming from the boiler that takes hot water to the cylinder, or the big pipe returning to the boiler from the cylinder. If the boiler or cylinder have been replaced/moved, there might be some left-overs.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In many older systems where gravity fed primaries were used, it was common to use 28mm pipe between the boiler and the hot water cylinder.

Reply to
Richard Conway

It's most likely the 28mm pipe coming from the old tank.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

thanks for all the ideas :)

Séan Connolly