Myson TRVs and OAPs

Hi guys.
Southwark council have just kindly installed a new central heating system into the home of one of our local OAPs. they have dementia too and are having a terrible time adjusting these to the correct temperature, usually resulting in them all being left full on, the house was 28c when we visited last and all the rads were set at maximum, keep telling them to leave them on 2 but it's no use. Is there anyway to lock these into a particular setting, say number two? I took the valve tops off but this simply opens the valve fully on, so no good. short of wrapping them in duct tape or putting a screw in the side, are there any other bright ideas?
Thanks.

The Myson TRVs have a little insert flat pin thingy you can set the maximum opening with. If they're not there, the installers more than likely just chucked them.
You can probably get replacements from Myson.
--

Dave

You might also want to consider that what is warm to you will be cold to the elderly. They may find a way to defeat whatever you do.

True - the liver produces most of the heat in the body apparently, and if that`s starting to pack in, they feel cold constantly.
Happened to my father in law over the last couple of years before he died.

Forgot to add - the purchase of a decent electric blanket was probably the best "not an early christmas present" gift he`d had for some time, and made his final months a lot more comfortable...
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:58:58 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The cheap bandq ones I have you can adjust two little plastic pegs to set min and max "temperatures". With the elderly it is probably worth setting both if you can so they can't turn them down to low. People die of cold in houses more often than exccessive heating.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

No2 is probably too cold for them, ask for advice from age concern as to what should be the correct temprature, and then set the room stat accordingly.

I'd say No2 is virtually off. 4 would be more like it for the elderly.
--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Yes both quite true and we are aware of those problems. The OAP gets two or three visits daily and one radiator they use the most will be left unrestricted.
It's just an attempt to avoid switching the rads off and the place left freezing, and switching them full on, when the place is too hot 28c.
They have always used hot water bottles, and it is a nightly routine in the winter evenings.
Thnx
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:58:58 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

Could you be a little more descriptive, there does appear to be a double pin thingy sticking out ever so slightly from the bottom of the plastic. what does one do with it to adjust the setting?
Thanks.
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:47:32 +0000, LordSnooty

Generally there is a circle of small holes and two pegs underneath the head. You simply move the pegs to the appropriate holes and this limits the amount that the head can be turned.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Possibly it can be pulled out (downwards) and reinserted further around. There are often two, which act as stops preventing the head from being moved further than a required setting. Stick them close enough together and you can more or less fix the setting.
--
Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, others gargle.

Mail john rather than nospam...
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:24:41 -0000, "James Salisbury"

It's around 21c and the idea is this would be the minimum it was allowed to drop to. Age Concern recommend around 22/23c
The settings are * - 1 - 11 - & - 111 or full on.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:50:46 +0000, John Laird

I'll give that a look next time we visit then.
Thanks guys for all your help, I'll also suggest the heating blanket.
Thanks.