My monitor's died

Some sub paragraph of Murphy's Law has been enforced :-(

Any suggestions for a replacement? Not hugely expensive but I'm not looking for the cheapest either. Flat (plasma) would be nice, 17" diagonal. XP compatible.

It seems to be a power failure, the monitor light doesn't come on. We've checked plugs and replaced fuse in plug, there have been no changes to anything, there was lightning yesterday but it's surge protected and working

100% last night.

Why do things fail when you need them most? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Mary using a borrowed one

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's a very clever bit of inbuilt circuitry hidden for years from us by conspiracy of silence amongst manufacturers - the Critical Need Detector.

Many moons ago starting out on my glittering rollercoaster of an IT career, I used to work in support. After a particularly bad batch of compaq model

420 (IIRC) monitors we would get calls from irate secretaries with completely dead monitors at least once a week - this model was particularly prone to it but others would sporadically fail as well.

Almost invariably, the internal fuse had blown and just needed replacing. Dunno about modern monitors, but I'd expect that they would still have an internal fuse and that this could be the problem in your case. In some other cases (though far, far less frequently) the switch needed to be replaced.

However, opening up and poking around in TVs and monitors is NOT a job to be undertaken lightly and without due care for the residual voltages within them, and I'm definitely not qualified to advise you on whether or how to go about replacing it.

Reply to
RichardS

Hi Mary

Have you tried percussive maintenance?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

What resolution do you want?

Comet have an Acer 1280x1024 17" LCD for =A3139.99. I bought the 19" version for =A3199.99 a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. At the time there was nothing cheaper on the high street. I think it came with a 3yr manufacturer's warranty but I would need to double check on that.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I suspected as much :-(

It's something I don't want Spouse to attempt. He'll undertake most things from building exquisite scale model aircrft to fly to restoring a castle but I'm reluctant to let him do anything to do with computers. That suits me because he'd never leave it alone - and I know I can always find some good soul here to advise :-)

Thanks,

Mary>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No. I can't find the mallet.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It doesn't have to be state of the art.

version for £199.99 a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. At the time there was nothing cheaper on the high street. I think it came with a 3yr manufacturer's warranty but I would need to double check on that.

Comet? I usually steer clear of them but am open to be converted, thanks.

That doesn't mean that I'm not open to other suggestions - I've got this one until next week and we're going off on Thursday so wouldn't be able to shop anyway until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I hate shopping.

Mary

MBQ

Reply to
Mary Fisher

vortex2

Except that Misco are the biggest bunch of &#^!$ ever, and I'd rather gnaw off my own leg than buy from them.

Reply to
Grunff

Have a look at:-

Howard Neil

Have a look on Amazon as they were a good price for the Digimate I'm using on one of my machines currently. Delivered quickly as well (next day as I remember) which might be useful in your circumstances!

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

Try looking at:

have a nice 17" Dell one for £146.82 or an even cheaper own brand one for £129.19.

Reply to
Richard Conway

On the diagonal size bit remember that if you are comparing to a traditional CRT type monitor, you catually get more inches for your money on LCD. A 15" LCD gives much the same useable screen area as a 17" CRT. A 17" LCD will typically run at the resolution you would use on a

19 - 20" CRT etc.

One of our clients wanted two new offices worth of flat screen monitors recently. Since they were "cost consious" (i.e. tight!), I spent a good amount of time looking at all the various deals available on TFT displays at the monent. Ended up going for some Videoseven monitors, which I have been very impressed with. Better brightness and contrast than many, Acceptable viewing angles (i.e. image brightness and colour temp does not alter when you move your head about or look at the screen from "off axis").

Ebuyer have the 19" version (1280x1024) at 195 inc VAT. Dabs have the 17" version (1280x1024) at 140 inc VAT. We can do the 15" (1024x768) at 130 inc VAT.

(prices above exclude delivery)

They know you know... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No great secret: everyone knows that every photocopier has one

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Both me and my husband have the Aria own brand and they are great. They came within a couple of days as well

Reply to
Sue Begg

I have two LG Flatron L1715S monitors which I bought from Argos - one last August at £299, the second in November at £249. Argos seemed to have stopped doing that, but they do a similar one - LG1755 for £209 (page 348) which looks exactly the same other than a different stand.

The diagonal is 17.25", which is about the same as for a 19" CRT monitor.

I'm perfectly happy with this monitor and would recommend it.

As with most monitors, it also comes with a three year on-site guarantee, although Argos will still try and flog an extended three year guarantee for £35!

Roger

Reply to
romic

In article , Mary Fisher writes

Ebuyer.com are very good on prices for TFT screens....

Reply to
tony sayer

this ... it looks interesting.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh! that's interesting to know, thank you!

I'm keeping all the suggestions in a separate folder.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

CCL have the 19" Videoseven for £192, they have a sales counter in Mary's part of the world.

Reply to
Mike Clarke