My microwave has power,light and rotates but doesn't heat! Is it a write-off?

googling for "Sale of goods act" or SOGA might help

or martins moneysaving tips forum

Reply to
geoff

interesting.

so they vacuum seals don't go on them?

sounds like a PSU issue then. Just as nasty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gosh, I've got a big stack of ring magnets in the garage, each pair represents a US magnetron. As you say, HV rectifiers were much more common, but I found S/C HV capacitors much less common than magnetrons.

We did a lot of Sharp models on behalf of a big insurance company. The usual complaint was the LCD display missing segments. It was due I think to the way the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the PCB was bonded, so it was unrepeatable and IIRC most of the PCBs were 49 pounds from Sharp.

Compared to what was our core business (TV & audio) microwave repair was dead easy.

Reply to
Graham.

Grimly curmudgeon re nukes:

Whats wrong with them? I've not had one

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No :) Its the s/n ratio thats the problem, how is someone that knows nowt about repairing a nuke going to tell good answer from bad?

fair point - I never did any of those

FWIW I can add a 'hear hear' to the fact that magnetrons do die sometimes, though not so often. and it turns out their supply requirements aren't critical.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Same as applies to any answer you read here... you read for long enough and you soon learn which people to trust on different subjects.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes indeed, reading threads this group you do come to a consensus of opinion and learn apply a different weighting factor to different contributors. For the record John, your opinion is at the very top limit of my scale!

Reply to
Graham.

Very kind of you to say so sir! - permission to look smug?

(but don't take it all as gold standard - I can suffer a brain fart sometimes just as well as everyone else)!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Graham. writes

What a timely thread - my mum has just phoned up to say that the light has gone in her microwave. Not being into white goods repair, I need a few pointers

All I can get out of her is that it's a Daewoo 3D Power 1000 (which may or may 100% right)

So, I need to buy a lightity bulb that I can take up with me next time I go

can anyone give me a part number and can I get one from e.g. CPC where I usually buy such things from ?

Reply to
geoff

There's a link on this page that may or may not be of help.

Old Git

I'll have to send my brother around to try and get a proper model number

Reply to
geoff

Ummmmmm. Yes.

Reply to
BigWallop

If the earth bond is not connected properly, the microwave side of the appliance may not work properly.

Reply to
BigWallop

So, why ask if the plug/flex was damaged, if power is clearly getting to the appliance? That's all...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why ever not?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

just the job

£9.25 ++

I'll check out CPCs price tomorrow

Reply to
geoff

Nice one.

Reply to
Old Git

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

A succession of three cheapies, all dead within two years. Hinari, Swan and something else. There's a Sharp I nearly killed with an exploding carton of milk which has burst back into life, and that's worth fixing as it's a nice little unit - needs the turntable motor looked at but it works ok as a non-rotator m/wave as is. Previously, I had /still have a 1kW Zanussi, which only needs a door interlock - that is a good 20 years old and just works. When it was new, it wasn't cheap and the quality is in it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

With the great majority of nukes, the make and model has nada to do with the light bulb. Most are a standard 240v 25w microwave-base pygmy bulb that costs a few quid from any decent lightbulb supplier.

Sharp brand nukes are often 110v with a custom base. Replacing the bulbholder is the quickest option.

NT

Reply to
meow2222