My Matalan has gone!

Where am I going to get my cheap tee shirts & socks now :-(

The Medway Handyman

You must be devasted, I can't think how I would manage without my Matalan!

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

sod 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
Jerry

broken down.

I think I must be mistaken.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We drove past there today, looks like a big fire. We noticed "Police tape" so I assume they suspect arson. I hope no one was hurt.

The is another Matalan in Maidstone- just other side of the "watery donut" to the main town, in the block facing the river and the big car dealers (Chrysler?). There is a free carpark that services Matalan and Lidl (which is by Matalan).

--

73 Brian
Brian Reay

together!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thus spaketh The Medway Handyman:

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Must be an insurance job. One of their stores in Birmingham went up about 10 months ago - and reason IIRC, and its not been rebuilt since - not even demolished its still just a mangled pile of steel.

dg

Reply to
dg

Yeah...Why do you need to "register" before you can buy ..what's that all about ?..It least you no longer need to pay a £1

Reply to
Stuart

How many tee shirts and socks does he need?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Apparently not, one casualty of smoke inhalation taken to hospital. News says it was started in the stockroom. Driving past today, that area has most damage.

Dead right, near what was once the Chrysler Gearbox Plant.

Two cheapiers in one!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many people around here believe the Birmingham one was an insurance job too, as it wasn't used that much, as Matalan don't really have very good prices, OK some items when on a very much reduced special offer are then reasonably priced, but when not in a highly reduced sale their stuff is way over-priced.

The Staples in Birmingham near the City Centre was burnt down many years back for the same insurance job reasons.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

BBC website. I think the ferocity of the fire took the emergency services by surprise. I went down to see the fire in the morning and we were able to get within 30 metres of it, despite the ferocity which resulted in at least two explosions. Later in the afternoon when it had died down, the Police had finally shut roads and cordoned off a much larger area and they had a load of 'specials' preventing you getting any nearer.

Dave, you will have to got to Primarni now!

Reply to
deckertim

Are you the one driving the fire engine?

Just like a normal day at Matalan, then....

Reply to
Andy Hall

As you know, it doesn't take much to totally grid lock the towns. The redesign of the roads in Chatham will probably stop that but only because it will be in permanent grid lock. And people wonder why Chatham is dying.

That isn't funny as he has to visit Chatham High Street, a truely dreadful place.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

I'd not read the news article, let us hope he/she is OK. I've always found that Matalan pretty good and the staff seem more helpful than you'd perhaps expect in a "cheap" shop.

There is quite a little complex of shops in that area but Medway Council haven't (as usual) sorted out the roads.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

In message , Brian Reay wrote

Usually it's called traffic calming - it cuts down death on the roads because no-one is travelling any faster than walking pace.

I'm sure a lot of local authorities wonder why their town centres are already dead.

Reply to
Alan