My garden tap thread is not 3/4" BSP so what might it be?

There's a garden tap at our new house in the garden!

I've tried to attach our Hozelock 3/4" BSP adapter but it does not fit. The tap thread seems to be very slightly bigger.

The only markings on the tap's brass body is what looks like a BS kite mark and the text 'No2'.

Any thoughts as to what size it might be and if I can get an adapter for my Hozelock? The Hozelock will also attach to 1" BSP so a 'whatever my tap to 1" BSP' adapter would be ideal.

TIA

Guy

Reply to
Guy Dawson

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 18:01:38 +0100, Guy Dawson mused:

I've come across smaller than 3/4" BSP on garden taps. I'd just put a new tap on FWIW.

Reply to
Lurch

Have you removed the 1/2" BSP adaptor ring?

I've never come across a garden tap that wasn't 3/4" BSP personally. They cost a fiver, replace it. Easiest option.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sorry about the blank message - hit the send button by accident!

Are you sure that your adapter is really 3/4" BSP? The acutal size of BSP threads is larger than the nominal size, as shown in

because the BSP size refers to the nominal bore (inside diameter) of an iron pipe, so the thread on the outside obviously has to be bigger than that.

Can you measure the thread diameter of your tap with a vernier caliper and post the result here.

Most garden taps are 3/4" BSP (actual size 1.041")

Some are 1/2" BSP (actual size 0.825")

I've even seen some which are 5/8" BSP (actual size 0.902")

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm now pretty sure the tap adapter is a 1/2" BSP in a 3/4" BSP fixing and that the tap is not quite 1/2" BSP.

I think I'll be getting a new tap!

Guy

Reply to
Guy Dawson

Could it be 5/8" BSP? You can get 5/8 to 3/4 adapters.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:36:58 +0100, "Roger Mills" mused:

I'd still go for the new tap option FWIW.

Reply to
Lurch

Yup. I had. I did.

Fit one with a check valve built-in if you don't already have one in the pipework.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Could be, but very rare - especially in a new build?

The havn't sneaked in metric taps without telling us have they?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It is already an EU requirement that we only use metric threads, which is why BSP is, officially, a metric thread.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The house is 1935 but with a 1990 extension. The kitchen was done in 1990 and it's possible that that's when the garden tap was fitted.

I don't think so.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Dawson