My Experience Of Plastic Plumbing....

This may or may not be new to some of you but to me it was and I thought I would just give a little encouragement to those of you who like me may be a little wary of using Plastic Plumbing.

My central heating was fitted a few years ago and when it was switched on there was a ticking sound under the bedroom floor. I had the chaps back to sought it out and they put some pipe insulation along the copper pipe where the 2 pipes crossed under the floor. This seemed to cure it for a time but it started again. By the time I got round to doing something about it, they said that the installation warranty was out of date. I wasn't bothered and am not asking for advice on it here.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I purchased some 15mm plastic pipe and fittings from

because I never did like using a blowlamp under the floorboards, having set fire to some a few years ago and this upset me a little. Armed with my new plastic pipe and fittings of which I was very wary of using, never having used them before and was very suspicious that it would do the job, I set too and stripped all the copper pipe leading to the radiators out and replaced it with the plastic.

Wow, how easy it was. I am now a convert.

Reply to
troubleinstore

You should have the tails of the rads going under the floors in copper. Plastic dropping from rads under the floor can be problematic. You should have only replaced the copper pipe where the expansion problem was, which is clearly poor quality installation, and nothing to do with copper pipe.

You should have made sure the plastic pipe was well supported and well clipped before and after any bends. If not you may have problems in the future.

Reply to
IMM

troubleinstore wrote in news:c5iv38$97f$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.beeb.net:

I'm strangely dissatisfied with this story. I got myself comfy with a cup of tea expecting tales of pipes spraying water everywhere, collapsing ceilings, irrate mother-in-laws, and so on, and all I get is "Wow, how easy it was. I am now a convert." It's like finding the last page missing :D

Reply to
Sneezy

That's the second plug you've given them. Is there a reason? Plastic pipe is available everywhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I make it the third time. But then I reckon I've mentioned screwfix maybe 100 times!

Reply to
Grunff

Exactly. Screwfix get untold plugging on this ng. There are many catalogue companies doing the same thing with similar catalogues, stock and prices. Unifix for e.g., and they do better fixing.

Reply to
IMM

Now look - I've been using SF since their catalog was a 15 page stapled together leaflet. They have consistently provided me with great products, great prices and superb customer service. I intend to continue using them until I have a reason to stop doing so - when you've found a good supplier, it's in your interest to patronise them.

Reply to
Grunff

Can I just mention how good tlc direct are at this point?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You obviously have shares in them.

Reply to
IMM

Erm, ok...

Did I mention how much I like RS?

Reply to
Grunff

Do you go to sleep with the Screwfix catalogue under your pillow?

Reply to
IMM

Sweet dreams .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have too - and TLC. But in an answer to a question - not in a new thread.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not actually under the pillow, but very often on the bedside table, yes. And I'm not joking either.

Reply to
Grunff

How sad. There are special groups around so that people like you can communicate with other people. Try one.

Reply to
IMM

Isn't this one of them?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

True, true. If troubleinstore does work for toolstation, he's being a lot more subtle than your common-or-garden spammer.

Reply to
Grunff

He has to do it face to face.

Reply to
IMM

15mm is fine, and I've done two bathrooms with it, but I would strongly advise against 10mm microbore fittings. I've just tried some and found they leak very easily. If the pipe goes in straight then it's fine but the nature of microbore copper, being a bendy pipe which can be difficult to control, mean getting the pipe in to the joint spot on is all-but impossible. So it leaks.

Even worse than that, even if you get the pipe in okay, further down the line, somebody might ram a piece of furniture against it, knocking it out of kilter. Instant leak, and one that's hidden behind furniture too! Nice. (Assuming that the pipe is, like at my house, against the skirting board).

All push-fit is like this - there is little tolerance in the fittings in terms of left/right or up/down motion. Unless you can guarantee the pipe goes in perfectly square-on, and will never get bent or stressed, then compression or solder joints are much safer.

Reply to
peak man

Can you tell me of some then as I only know of the two mentioned and BES....

-- troubleinstore

Reply to
troubleinstore