my discussions are sometimes being transferred to other forums?

It would yes - although they could mitigate that a bit by doing non direct routing of the shorter paths. Most DIL packaged 68Ks ran at less than 16MHz anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh in this case the exception proves the rule. Firth is actually right.

64 bit is a lot faster at calculation and raw code processing - and that means faster screenery and faster vid and graphics processing.

If your applications are not compute intensive though, you wouldn't notice. Your disks and the internet wont get faster.

I have a CPU usage monitor. Right now its barely ticking overt. If I grab this window and move it round the screen, that's 50% CPU to keep up..

When I was using the onboard intel graphics and 32 bits it didn't keep up a all...

I noticed a really big improvement in another machine going from IDE to SATA disk...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And get that MIB implemented in the device you're trying to monitor.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Same as WMI, then. :o)

My point being that SNMP is no longer just about networks.

Reply to
Huge

Of course, it'll be the extra instructions they squeezed in, probably the SSE ones. Unless they've done a damn good job on the register use.

I'm still surprised at AES though. Then, I'm surprised you're encrypting anything big enough for it to matter.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I've gone SSD. Transformed the machine.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Might be encrypting a comms channel ...

Reply to
Huge

There's more than one use but the major consumer of CPU cycles is encrypting "quite a bit" of data. Currently the run takes days to complete, switching to 64bit meant that the job could complete in less than a week which is nice.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's amusing how often you have to say that.

Reply to
Steve Firth