My brilliant idea and how I refined it

I have a little notebook with 100 pages. I write things in it. Shopping lists, appointments, phone numbers, all sorts of things. For years I've had the problem that I can't find things in the little book. I used to flick through it for ages sometimes, with the queue behind me in the butcher's getting longer and longer, before finally I'd say, "Oh yes! Bacon!" I had the idea of sticking bits of paper to the first page of each section, with the edge sticking out a bit. On the sticking out bit I wrote headings, such as 'butcher'. But these bits of paper got ripped off in my pocket, so I did them again and reinforced them with Sellotape. The ink ran under the Sellotape and the headers became illegible. I abandoned the sticking-out bits of paper. It occurred to me that if I drew a different symbol on each and every page, I would be able to find each section by looking for the symbol. I made up 100 different symbols, which was surprisingly hard, and in practice this idea wasn't much better than looking at the actual contents of each page, one after the other. What's more I was having difficulty in remembering which symbol represented which section. It then occurred to me that if I numbered the symbols I might be able to remember them more easily. I did this, then in a real brainwave I transferred the numbers as well as the symbols to the actual pages. I then realised that I should have chosen numbers that were in actual numerical order, instead of having them in random order. I started again. I crossed out all the numbers and symbols (which I'd realised were redundant, really) and wrote in new numbers. The first page I numbered '1', the second page I numbered '2', and so on, all the way to the last page, which I numbered '100'. After a few weeks I had a sudden flash of inspiration. I wrote down all the numbers from 1 to 100 in a row down the left side of a piece of paper and then went through the whole book. I wrote down the name of each section on the piece of paper, next to the number on the page it occupied in the book. Hard to grasp at first, but if for instance the butcher list was on the page with the number 25 on it, I wrote 'butcher' next to the '25' on the piece of paper. Now I could see at a glance, just by running my eye down the sheet of A4, where to look in the book for each section. And because the numbers were in numerical order I could find each page quite quickly. For instance, if I wanted 'butcher' the list would tell me to look for number 25. If I opened the book at, say, the page that had 21 on it, a moment's thought would tell me to look a few pages further on. If however I chanced to open the book at the page with 53 on it I would be able to figure out quite quickly that the best thing to do was close the book and try again. You see, 53 comes nowhere near 25 when the numbers are in order. You just need to be able to remember the order of the numbers. After a while I got pretty good at this. I'm one of those people whose brains work best when I'm unconscious. So it was that I suddenly jumped out of the bath, where I had been snoozing, and shouted 'Eureka!' I'd had not one but two brilliant ideas. The first was that instead of putting the numbers down the left side of the A4 sheet I could put the section names down that side. The other was that I could alter the order of the sections, as shown on the sheet of A4, at will. They didn't have to be in the same order as they appeared in the book. This was a breakthrough. In the end I decided to put them in an order determined by their first few letters, with the first letter carrying the most weight, and so on. So I had Addresses, Baker, Butcher, Chicken notes, Dog notes, Egg record (see chicken notes), and so on. This meant that with a knowledge of the alphabet I could find each section almost instantly. I then realised (you see how this idea evolved by a series of logical steps?) that there was no need to cram in the numbers associated with pages that had nothing on them. This meant that the whole list of sections and numbers was so small that I was able to cut round it with scissors and glue it into the notebook. But what if I couldn't find it? I put it in the book on the last page, then just to make sure I wrote on the book's cover in large letters 'Index: 100'. Rather than patent this idea I have decided to make it freely available to the whole world, as my contribution to the happiness and well-being of future humanity.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

[SNIP]

YA(David Wheeler)AICM£5

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, great, perhaps you could now tell web sites to design their sites this way instead of cramming everything onto each page with links in the middle of content and stupid like this buttons all over the place. Now if they could also do this with the adverts they all carry we could all go to the advertisers index and fill our boots with them very easily when we had time to spare. I commend it to the web designers as a free bit of advice, and I don't want anything for it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The ancient Egyptians had such things. The modern equivalent is a Filofax. Save yourself a lot of trouble and go out and buy one.

You can fix it to do almost everything.

I expect there is an electronic tablet equivalent.

I don't need one, my wife remembers everything.

Reply to
harryagain

At 2:37*am* Bill Wright posted:

Have you tried some form of sleeping tablet?

Reply to
Scott M

write specsavers on the next page

you are a piss poor troll

Reply to
Judith

That's a 'double entendre' isn't it? I mean you could be referring to the modern day equivilent of an electronic filofax such as a Nexus7 which goes to sleep rather than completely shut down so could oft be regarded as a 'Sleeping Tablet'. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

On 25 Apr 2014, "harryagain" grunted:

Actually, for such things I have recently become totally sold on Evernote

Lets you make notes of Useful Stuff (which you can group in sections, search, all sorts); it's a program that runs on my PC and smartphone and automatically synchronises the two.

Does lots more besides which I've never got round to exploring, but as a simple electronic aide-memoire/notebook it's the mutt's nuts.

Reply to
Lobster

I prefer this sequence:

A for horses B for mutton C for miles D for mation E for brick F for vescence G for police H for ??? I for the engine J for orange K for teria L for leather M for sis N for cement O for to you P for ration Q for the bus R for moe S for ransen T for two U for joice V for la france W for quits X for ??? Y for biscuit Z for breezes

It's, for those not familiar, the Cockney rhyming slang phoenetic alphabet. I only heard the whole sequence two or three times about 30 odd years ago. The ??? represents the ones I completely failed to recall. This might be my one opportunity to complete the missing phoentics. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

+a6

Having trouble with A and Z there....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

[snip]

In the 1930s, the comedy double act Clapham and Dwyer recorded the following version:

A for 'orses (hay for horses) B for mutton (beef or mutton) C for 'th highlanders (Seaforth Highlanders) D for 'ential (deferential) E for Adam (Eve or Adam) F for 'vescence (effervescence) G for police (Chief of police) H for respect (age for respect) I for Novello (Ivor Novello) J for oranges (Jaffa oranges) K for 'ancis, (Kay Francis), or K for undressing L for leather (Hell for leather) M for 'sis (emphasis) N for 'adig (in for a dig, or infradig) O for the garden wall (over the garden wall) P for a penny (pee for a penny) Q for a song (cue for a song), or Q for billiards (cue for billiards) R for mo' (half a mo') S for you (it's for you) T for two (tea for two) U for films (UFA films) V for La France (Vive La France) W for a bob (double you for a bob) X for breakfast (eggs for breakfast) Y for Gawd's sake (why, for God's sake) Z for breezes (zephyr breezes: see West wind)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I hadn't thought of it like that but, now I have, I realise that I'm not the saddest person on the planet! ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

My wife claims to!

Reply to
Capitol

E for brick Q for a bus

Reply to
polygonum

I'm sure, in your heart of hearts, you already knew that. :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

Quoted text unsnipped to aid comparision

Thanks Chris. I guess the list has mutated a bit in the intervening

40 years by the time I first heard it. I think I'll just stick with the version I recalled and just fill in the H and X gaps from the above list.

You'd think there wouldn't be any real life uses for the Cockney Phoenetic Alphabet wouldn't you? I have, on occasion, resorted to its use when the NATO phoenetics fail to get the message through. Most times it leaves the person at the other end a little flummoxed but the humour of it usually helps relieve any build up of tension in the subsequent conversation.

Reply to
Johny B Good

An amusing failure to use the NATO phonetic alphabet back in the mid

80's when we had to phone a software supplier to get unlock codes, a colleague was reading back to the young lady ...

C for Charlie F for Foxtrot etc, etc Y for wanky

he never did live that one down.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I find that Sierra all too often ends up as "C" at the other end.

Not sure if C for th'ighlanders would be any better! :-)

Reply to
polygonum

SWMBO had a filing system where everything got filed under "B"

B for bank B for building society B for builder

Worked for her.

Reply to
Graham.

In one of the John Cleese' traing videos, a secretary had filed a "misssing" letter under "L" - for letter.

Reply to
charles