my bosch 24V drill has packed up any refcommendations

Hi there, My bosch 24V hammer drill has packed up,

ie won't go round and making odd burning electrical smell.

At first I blamed the batteries because they are not much used, and nicads, but I think it's the drill itself.

I'm rather dischuffed because its only a couple of years old and not really used heavily at all.

Any suggestions as to if it can be fixed, or if not what is the best hammer drill/driver for home use (putting up shelves and the like..)

I bought hubby a fein multimaster and am very impressed with that!

Should I give up on battery powered tools and just keep a mains one?

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Assuming terminal state of the drill.

What sort of walls, etc. do you have? If they are tough to drill, consider this:

which another poster (Samantha) bought in the last few days. SDS is excellent for masonry - essential for concrete. And a new cordless for other things. You will need to acquire SDS bits to really make use of that - but they are reasonable.

See thread subject "SDS and Screwfix".

Reply to
Rod

Worth having a go at the maker if you're sure it's not just the battery. A make like that should last far longer than a couple of years - even B&Q cheapies are warranted for three.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I saw that!

On further research there are several reports of this particular drill's magnets falling off and jamming the motor, I wonder if this is what's happened here.

I bought it it from screwfix in 2004 so it's four years old, but only very lightly used a few wall holes for shelves and suchlike..

I might give bosch a r>

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

The symptoms you describe mean its not the battery. It fits perfectly a motor jam - magnets coming off would do that, as would debris in the magnetic gap between rotor & stator. If you're up for dismantling the thing, get to the motor and see if it'll turn: if not there's debris in it, and if it does the jam's elsewhere. If otoh the mechanics runs freely, then more likely a bad connection causing the smell.

OTOH if the motor's smoking it may be fried by now - who knows

NT

Reply to
meow2222