My back door

The back door in (from? to?) my house leads out of the utility room, which itself leads off the kitchen. In the 15 years we've lived here, I doubt we've opened it more than 2 or 3 times (it's only a few feet from the front door!) We're about to refit the kitchen and utility room, and we would much rather have the wall-space in the utility room than the back door.

So ... is there any regulatory reason why we shouldn't just brick it up?

Reply to
Huge

The only thing I can think of is fire regs - eg, if you filled it in, and there was a fire in the kitchen, would you still be able to escape from the utiilty room? ie, is there a window which can be opened adequately to climb through?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yep. Not that I'd care to, but I suspect a fire would provide quite a lot of motivation.

Reply to
Huge

;-) But the window is big enough according to the building regs though? (dunno what that is without checking) (ie, the window may need to accomodate someone larger than you?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

1.2m high and 450mm clear opening IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There aren't very many people larger than me. :o)

Reply to
Huge

I got into a lift with an American baskeball team once, none under 2m.

Reply to
Andy Hall