Mushrooms on ceiling

I viewed a flat last week and and there was a leak from above into the bathroom. This was a slow leak and and over a few months a round tubular type of mushrrom has appeared. I have never seen this before. Anyone know what it is, or what makes them appear?

TIA

Reply to
timegoesby

Possible wood rot(Fungus) from the joist in the ceiling as water/damp will make it thrive.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

| snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote: | > I viewed a flat last week and and there was a leak from above into the | > bathroom. This was a slow leak and and over a few months a round | > tubular type of mushrrom has appeared. I have never seen this before. | > Anyone know what it is, or what makes them appear? | >

| > TIA | | Possible wood rot(Fungus) from the joist in the ceiling as water/damp will | make it thrive.

Not nice at all, could be expensive :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I viewed a Terraced vicrorian house in the past with a prospect to buying as soon as I seen the cellar It was a no way buy, the ceiling/walls and joist was covered in the fungus in the back part of the cellar and would have cost £££'s?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

There was a flat above and the ceiling was made out of the old breeze block which is made from power station ash. The supporting structure is steel. I don't know if the ceiling was plasterboard or a direct skim.

Reply to
timegoesby

If the vendor was a Mr West it might have been Coffin Fungus...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Isn't it obvious? you or one of your clones did the plumbing in the flat above.

Reply to
Matt

No idea, but I've always made it a rule never to buy a house that has things growing inside :-)

Dave

Reply to
david lang

So you have always opted for easy projects, A Mans Got To Know His Limitations

Rick - whose house had cows living in it, and pigs, mice, sheep, chickens, horces, 15 foot ash tree to name but a few ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

That's not a House, that's a Ruin.

By all means buy it and make it into a House, but Dave's principle of not having things growing in Houses is a good one :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Including people ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

| In article , Owain | writes | >Rick wrote: | >>>No idea, but I've always made it a rule never to buy a house that has | >>>things growing inside :-) | >> So you have always opted for easy projects, A Mans Got To Know His | >> Limitations | >> Rick - whose house had cows living in it, and pigs, mice, sheep, | >> chickens, horces, 15 foot ash tree to name but a few ... | >

| >That's not a House, that's a Ruin. | >

| >By all means buy it and make it into a House, but Dave's principle of | >not having things growing in Houses is a good one :-) | >

| | Including people ?

Especially small ones ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop