Museum in interesting building near Bristol.

Check this out:

actually underground, but the sort of 'infrastructure' architecture that features on the Sub Brit etc. websites, it was formerly a primary substation (33/11kV).

Inside there is a museum (open twice a month at present, details on the website) of old electrical items, including various appliances and a display of 'service cutouts', which is how I came across the website, when looking for a supplier of same.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Andrew

John Doran after whom it was originally named was not a relative, though my father, also called John Doran, was a senior official of the South Eastern Gas Board, and they were often confused.

Despite the name change, a Google on "John Doran Museum of Gas" will find other references more relevant the just "museum of gas", though that's worth doing too.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

Reply to
Andrew

another gas museum. I've never been inside, the row of ancient cookers in the window is a bit offputtin, undertones of a junk yard but the web page makes it sound more interesting

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

newsbetxt1-win.ntli.net!newspeer1-win.ntli.net!news-out.ntli.net!newsrout1-gui.ntli.net!news-in.ntli.net!newsrout1-win.ntli.net!ntli.net!news.highwinds-media.com!newsfeed01.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news.rh-tec.net!newsfeed.kamp.net!newsfeed.kamp.net!nntp-peering.plus.net!ptn-nntp-feeder01.plus.net!ptn-nntp-spool01.plus.net!ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net!not-for-mail

DXC=WIUhkaSU8h\n4VhQn\O2iYigd3Y`7Rb;^37XnI;[OUCTG`jPeGcW;i[He7da?Bb\kV^01nlT`SQ>^_62MUojX@\^

Its the only complete gasworks in the country. Never mind the window display of old cookers, go when its open and get a look at the site. Nothing else like it now! Well worth a look if you are in the area. David.

Reply to
davidfarrant

Thanks Anna and David - we've tried endless times to contact them, but never found time to get over and look. Perhaps we should!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

gasworks, Northern Ireland.

Reasonable sort of museum: good site and preserved kit, if not the greatest interpretation ever. It's also one of the most interesting things in Carrickfergus!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Manchester Museum of Science and Technology has a gas section with gas works exhibits (& smells). Loads of other Victorian engineering stuff as well.

is free.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

The reason I'm interested in gas museums is that I've been trying to find a way of getting a 1930s gas cooker to run on bottled gas (thank you John if you're still around - I'm still trying!) It was converted to natural gas at the time of conversion, and I'm trying to get it working on butane or propane.

It needs new jets of the right size. I've asked a few years back on this group, but just in case someone new has come along in the meantime with some bright ideas, I'm asking again! TIA as ever...

Reply to
Andrew

The message from Andrew contains these words:

I'd try a motorcycle tuner. Either that or find a good local model engineer and get them to machine up a selection of jets with a range of sized holes and do it by eye. Too big will give a yellow flame - best seen in very dim light though. Err on the side of caution as too small won't be as likely to be dangerous.

Reply to
Guy King

If you, like me are planning to just turn up on spec then I'd try market day which I seem to remember is Thursday

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Ta!

Reply to
Andrew

Sounds a good idea. Have a look at camping stoves maybe the jets from those could be cobbled to fit?

Reply to
malc

Adam Aglionby