Multimeter recommendation request

Page 1 of 2
I've knackered two multimeters by trying to measure volts whilst inadvertently been still on ohms. Can anyone recommend a multimeter that will not die if I do this.
Pablo wrote:

Dy'know - in all the years I've been using multimeters, I've *never* done that.
I don't know if you're going to find what you want - it's a little like asking for a wood drill bit that won't break when used to drill through concrete.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Me neither. There is a limit to how idiot proof they can make them :-) Maybe my expensive Fluke would be ok but I not going to try it ...

I agree. You need to learn to shake and get anxious whenever the meter isn't on a voltage range. Never put it down without selecting volts or off.
Christian.

Same here.

A possible solution for this problem might be to buy two separate multimeters - each of a different colour.
PoP
PoP wrote:

Lol! Make that 3 - one for current. You don't want to be measuring voltage with an ammeter set to current (although most are fused).
--
Grunff

Ah yes, but by the time the fuse has figured out that it needs to vapourise itself the multimeter needle will have wrapped itself around the end stop several times ;)
PoP
PoP wrote:

multimeter with a needle.... how quaint ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:03:29 +0000, John Rumm
Nowt wrong with a multimeter with a good old fashioned display. The kiddies might sneer at them, but there ain't nothing like an Avo ;)
PoP
PoP wrote:

for breaking your toe when you drop it on it... and your bank balance when you buy it! ;-)
Only joking - I am the proud owner of a nice analogue ICE Supertester 680G which still gets an outing from time to time.
Come to think of it I bought the 680G when I needed to repair my first MM which was an ICE Microtest 80. I seem to recall I wanted to test that mains was reaching a transformer - so probed from live to the chassis - forgetting I still had the meter set for ohms!
Big blue flash and one molten probe tip later we had a multimeter that was never quite the same on the ohms range again!
All credit to it though - it did have full repair and service instructions supplied with it in its user guide - the only problem was most of the instructions required the use of a working multimeter! As luck would have it Maplin were having a "clear out" sale* the following week and happened to be knocking out the bigger brother of the MM I just killed for less than I paid for the first one!
* This was back in the days when the Maplin empire was a single shop in Westcliff, plus a mail order department. A clear out sale was a couple of tables of "stuff" set out in the front of the shop with prices written on. This was a time of great excitement since you actually got to see much of the stuff for real, that previously was only a dodgy photo in a (then black and white) catalogue.
(Historical note: Maplin was counter service only in those days (early 80s) - usually there was not much on display in the shop at all - but a team of bods behind a counter - you gave them a list, they collected and bagged all the bits for you, which was actually much quicker and simpler!)
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Happy days - that brought a tear to my eye thinking about it. So many Saturdays spent queuing at Maplin in Hammersmith...
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

The most impressive part for me (at a tender age of about 12 I guess) was when someone would walk in from the street and strike up a conversation with one of the chaps behind the desk about how to achieve something or other. After a little head scratching, a pencil would be produced from behind his ear and the sales assistant would set about designing a complete circuit there and then on a bit of scrap paper. Finish off with a flourish of a quick calculation of the passive component values required and finally ask what type of prototype board the customer would prefer before placing all the required bits, plus said circuit design, in a bag ready to be taken away.....
So much more impressive than when one of the current sales bods (i.e. children!) recently asked me "what does a Grommet do?"
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:34:28 +0000, John Rumm

Keeps Wallace in check doesn't he? ;)
PoP

It was the same in Edgware Rd, near Henry's, which is still going. 20 years ago and less, most shops along that stretch north of the flyover were electronics components shops, and those who served in them tended to be buffs. Now it is full of shops serving the rich Arab community and only Henry's and one other disco type amp shop left of about 40 shops selling components and finished radio, hi-fi and other assorted electronics. Henry's now looks out of place amongst all these non-electronics shops, but still they come from miles around to shop there.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:26:52 +0000, John Rumm

I remember catching the train into London, must have been mid-70's. Maplin were holding an event at a big hall in Pimlico. At the time they were into electronic organry in a big way.
PoP
PoP wrote:

Mid 70's must have been pretty close to the start of Maplin I would have thought... I think my first catalogue (1980?) was only about the second proper printed jobbie they produced (had a picture of two passing space ships on the cover). The previous years had a picture of concord on it so I am told.
You are right - there used to be all sorts of bizarre organ related stuff in the first few catalogues... I always fancied the idea of building one of their synth projects (up until I saw the price of the kit!)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:49:56 +0000, John Rumm

I bought various bits and started constructing an organ based upon the Maplin designs. Turned out to be one of my more famouse "round tuit" jobs in the end, in so far that I never did finish it.....
PoP
PoP wrote:

For testing your car battery maybe! I chucked mine out 10 years ago.

Don't be so prejudiced against analogue meters ! I have a couple of (digital) Flukes and two (analogue) AVO's and choose what suites the application best - give me an analogue meter anyday when watching changing values (like rate of discharge of a capacitor or inital charging current of batteries) - much easier to see rate of change than with flashing digits. But for a steady value that you want to measure accurately then the digital solution fits the bill.
But try measuring a long run of wire that may or may not be connected to live mains with a (very) high impedance meter such as a Fluke - as the meter doesn't put significant load on the source you can get a false reading from the capacitive coupling to other conductors running alongside - repeat the measurement using an Avo (20K per volt iirc) and you will get a more meaningful result.
It's 'horses for courses' IMHO.
Andrew Mawson

odd nobody has mentioned these http://tinyurl.com/usal Hand held scopes that double as a multimeter with true RMS www.cpc.co.uk do them for @ 90