Multimeter

IMHO it would be impossible/too expensive to provide a resetable breaker that acts fast enough to protect solid state devices. Hence the very expensive fuses - I've no idea how they work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. You're probbaly thinking of cutouts which are slow acting. =20

well sort of, most have had perhaps 10 years at school, most should have do= ne physics to GSCE or A-Level before they even come to univ.

No. the teachers here are lecturers their job appears to be pointing at a w= hiteboard controlled from their labtop then telling them to printout a 100 = power point slides.

Part of the idea of doing a practical lab is to learn stuff by experiment. You;d have thought parent could teach their kids how to sit on stalls/chair= s quietly and attentively while the teacher or lecturer speaks too. =20

Reply to
whisky-dave

maybe the fluke branded ones are more expensive.

My Maplin meter uses standard 20mm fast blow. But whether this protects the meter as well as the Fluke type from a massive overload, who knows?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True, I've had a total of 89, 318 & 328 over the last few years only 3 have gone faulty so that's not too bad, not sure we'd have done better buying 90 odd flukes we certainly found it easier to replace the cheap meters.

Looking at fuses

each

each

Not sure how much a geniuine fluke fuse would cost maybe adda zero on the end

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ian Jackson wrote on Aug 28, 2012:

Err - no, I don't actually find puns amusing in the slightest. Just poor proof-reading.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Not if it's brewed by Greene King :)

Reply to
alan

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Well, actually, IPA is the only other alcohol that is not poisonous

(as opposed to Tetleys, which is)

Reply to
geoff

Not sure I'd go along with that:

I do agree that in many IPA poisonings there are complicating factor= s =

- such as another alcohol being present.

Reply to
polygonum

Standard 20 mm fuses are only rated at 250 V with a breaking capacity of

35 A (glass type) or 1.5 kA for the ceramic HBC types.

The fuses fitted in multimeters with Cat III/IV safety ratings have much higher voltage and breaking capacities. Taking the Fluke 77-4 meter as an example, the 440 mA fuse is rated to break 10 kA at 1 kV and the 11 A fuse for the highest current range will handle 20 kA at 1 kV.

If you use your multimeter in your consumer unit or with a big battery bank, or anywhere else where high prospective short-circuit fault levels are present, the cost of the correct fuses isn't much to pay to avoid any risk of the test leads suddenly vapourising in front of your face.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Indeed. Regular readers may recall that report from the shopping mall where a meter with inappropriate protection was used on a distribution board... a mains transient caused a breakdown in the DVM which triggered a major arc flash event - killing the operator and a bystander IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

So not really essential for a DIYer

Maybe that's the differnce bewtween pro and hobby meters. I don;t remmebr the above incident.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I think this was the one:

John Rumm

Hi,

It's great that you want to learn something new. I hope this adds some value to you. It's a guide for "Choosing the Best Multimeter."

Md Rashed Ali

He has probably chosen one by now, since the original post was over 6 years ago! You even quoted the date in your reply. Try reading what you are posting before hitting the 'send' button.

Reply to
The Other John

It also is written by someone who could do with learning more about the subject

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
2012, are we sure he is still alive? If the originator did not really understand a multimeter, he might have been electrocuted in the intervening years! :-) Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

I should hope so, I think he was our youngest poster ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does that make him a poster child ?

Reply to
samchunk

but I am sure he thought it was just a convenient place to spam his website details where he hopes it might get found in searches.

Reply to
John Rumm

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency, conductance, resistance, inductance, continuity.'

But not voltage or current? Very odd common DVM, I'd say.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)