Multiblade razors are a huge ripoff

You could learn - but strops can be expensive.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

er - I'm bald, axilliary ... don't need any shaving.

Not that I ever shaved under my arms anyway, what's the point?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think they started decades ago when Gillette employed two Phds to research shaving. They fitted fibre-optics to a razor and discovered that the blade pulled out the hair a bit before cutting it off. The hair retracted too quickly for the human hand to pass again. So the twin blade razor was born

Whether the effect is there from the 2nd blade I don't know but I find the Wilkinson Sword Xtreme3 the best of the current bunch. They don't clog if used correctly. Don't use soap for shaving use gel.

Reply to
OldBill

The vibrator helps a bit as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bet Andy Hall uses one then :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Aren't there complimentary in-flight shaves for super premium executive business class passengers?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought it was only for First Class super premium executive business class passengers.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh yes!

And they are only for final sharpening. "Setting" is also needed. Once part of every barbers apprenticeship. Last barber I knew that could do it retired twenty years ago. Horrible hand aching job apparently.

Reply to
EricP

Thus spake Frank Erskine ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

I also use a Mach 3, but find I still have to do several 'sweeps' to achieve a clean shave, which makes me wonder why I'm bothering with a multiblade. It certainly seems no better than my old Gillette G II which it replaced when I got sucked in by the sales hype, so I won't be bothering with that 5-blade thingy that they're now trying to flog.

It keeps making me think of Jasper Carrott (or was it Billy Connolly?) who I remember once did a hilarious piss-take of multi-blade razors in his stand-up routine on the telly.

Reply to
A.Clews

Good heavens no.... :-)

Mind you, I suppose that sharpening on the Tormek wouldn't be too hard.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No there aren't.

Virgin Atlantic used to offer this in their Clubhouse lounge at Heathrow and very nice it was too. After 11th Sept 2001, it was scaled back to a safety razor and the lady uses rubber gloves. To be honest, I don't really want that, so these days, the best offerings are the haircut on the ground and the manicure in the air.

They do really nice bacon butties as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Gillette GII does me well enough, better than a single blade for the reasons already stated. Have to do a couple of sweeps but what is wrong with that? Also agree with the comments on Bic, brought some single blade one once, never again.

Are all these vibrating multi-multi blade jobbies just trying to do it all in one pass? Whats the point? You can't do all a cheek or your neck in one pass... The vibration just means a blunter (cheaper, easier to make?) blade will still cut.

The other thing that worries me is that there is one particular bit of my left cheek bone area that can occasional gets a nick from both blades. Now a two bladed nick isn't too bad but five? It would look like some tribal initiation mark. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andy Hall writes

So *that's* why the wife takes so long to do her legs... ;-)

Reply to
Kenny

Swap the U2s for 996 batteries and all will be well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Another vote for Mach 3 here...

Reply to
John Rumm

And Wilkinson have stopped making swords, too, the swines.

(I have a beard. To hell with this shaving nonsense.)

Reply to
Huge

My Fusion lasts 1 calendar month, but then so did my Mach 3.

Reply to
Jim S

My wife is half French - she only shaves one armpit :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gillette M3 Power & any old foam. Vibrating thingy gives a great shave as long as you rinse after every pass.

However, I do have a goatee beard & only shave around it, and only once a week :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I prefer Body Shop shaving cream to foam.

I even like old-fashioned hard shaving soap, applied with a brush.

Reply to
Frank Erskine