Multi-fuel stove installation questions

We already have a big[gish] multi-fuel stove in our main room. As we have just acquired a *lot* more wood to burn we're considering putting one in the breakfast room as well.

Given that this is a money saving idea (to reduce use of electricity in particular) we want it to be as cheap as possible. (Don't tell me gas is cheaper, we don't have mains gas).

Is the cheapest way normally to D-I-Y and then get building regs approval or is using a HEAT approved installer better? We're probably looking at a 5 or 6kW stove costing around £250 for the stove itself, or maybe even a secondhand one, what are the additional costs likely to be with (probably) the flue going out through a hole in the wall above the stove?

Finally I see that it's not allowed to have an extract fan in the room with the stove (for fairly obvious reasons). Our breakfast room where we want to put the stove is adjacent and open to the kitchen which has a cooker hood which has an extract fan. Is this OK? The archway between breakfast room and kitchen is larger than a normal doorway but not huge.

Reply to
tinnews

Even with a good quality stove, at least half the costs go on the flue.

If it's possible to touch the flue whilst standing outside the building, then it will probably need to be double-walled (lots of $$ $). (or from anywhere else it could be touched, without it being obvious it's hot because you can see the fire).

There's some very good online discount suppliers of suitable flue components - check out prices - but be aware building regs now specify a quite generous minimum diameter (more $$$).

Regarding the kitchen extract, ISTR the OFTEC site has some useful practical guidance to be safe and fulfil the BR's.

Reply to
dom

When I priced mine, it was only 200 quid extra to get the HETAS bloke - the cost of the liner dwarfed the cost of labour.

Reply to
Tim Watts

5kW is the limit for not needing a separate air supply to the stove.

Even with the flue through the wall it must vent above eave height and will need to be insulated 150mm, which effectively means two skinned 914 which will cost far more than the stove.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Ah yes, HETAS, thank you!