Multi fuel smell

We have a Evergreen ST1050 multi fuel stove that?s been in for about 14 months. . Every time its used, so far about 10/12 times, we get a acrid smell. There is no sign of smoke escaping and the type of fuel used makes little difference. Is this still the smell from the paint or something else? Any ideas of what it is and either how long its likely to go on or how to reduce it welcome.

Reply to
John

We have a Evergreen ST1050 multi fuel stove that's been in for about 14 months. . Every time its used, so far about 10/12 times, we get a acrid smell. There is no sign of smoke escaping and the type of fuel used makes little difference. Is this still the smell from the paint or something else? Any ideas of what it is and either how long its likely to go on or how to reduce it welcome.

Reply to
John

Could be paint. Did you have your chimney swept? Have you had a good burn yet?

Reply to
mogga

The chimney was lined wit the double skinned SS stuff and a new lintel cast with the flue passing through. Its had a number of burns at higher temperature, but non just going all out. The installer checked the chimney and said it didn't need sweeping before this (in part as its an old chimney, there was a lot of space., you could see some light looking up it,so it would have been to big for the multi fuel stove !)

Reply to
John

Does the smell fade or get stronger?

Reply to
mogga

If there's no reason to have special concerns about fire risk (and yours sounds a proper installation) - then be brave and have a long (several hour) high temperature run with it. As Mogga suggests, probably just paints/enamels or possibly anything else they needed to use to ease assembly.

I don't particularly recall any smells beyond the first 1 or 2 serious usages of mine - but it took more like 2 weeks of serious usage for my woodburner to completely settle.

Reply to
dom

We were being very delicate with ours breaking it in as advised when BF's dad turned up and started a roaring fire - :)

Just a thought - has anyone been polishing it with mr sheen or anything like that?

Reply to
mogga

No, it would be the only thing in the house to be polished if it were!

Reply to
John

We think it slowly gets stronger as the fire is going, but it is also getting hotter.

Reply to
John