Much Swearing and Rightly So! - Help!

[FUMING] Ordered a metal shed about 6 weeks ago..1.52m square (metal) Order accepted, payment taken...start building timber base. Nearly finished base when 4 weeks later got the message."shed has been discontinued" Luckily..find another metal shed 1.52m x 1.41m and accept this as replacement. Order and payment are taken. I begin changing size of shed base...now 99% complete. Get call this morning..."this shed has been discontinued" "FFFFFFFFFF*******^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^KKKKKKKKKKKK" So now can't find any shed that can be accommodated on the base I have built.

Sooooo..making the most of a bad situation. The back yard dividing wall is about 1.7m high with no capping stones and the back wall is about 2m high with old pointed capping stones on it. If I just shove the base into the corner where these walls join and build 2 walls and a roof from plywood should I use 12mm or 18mm plywood for the walls?

Any other advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

I think if you post this to uk.legal you'll find it's really THEIR responsibility to source a replacement, seeing as they took your money and neglected to tell you for four weeks that they couldn't provide it...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

But does that replacement have to be an exact size match for the original?

Reply to
Jules

a) Go into the shed base business, sell one of your product, then email all other customers to tell them that your product has been discontinued?

b) There's nothing that an angle grinder can't fix - although it may require a visit to this company's offices with the aforementioned tool ;)

I think personally if it took them a month just to tell me that they couldn't provide the thing that I'd ordered, I'd be demanding my money back and going elsewhere (what was the name of the company, just so folk can avoid them?)

(on the bright side, at least a base is quick and easy to make - on the less-bright side, f*cking annoying, time + money etc. Maybe if you have receipts for materials used you can take the company to court and recover costs?)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Seriously, does it have to be metal?

I ask because it will suffer condensation in November+ like an ice- pack on a humid day. That condensation will be external & internal dropping off the roof onto anything inside. You can insulate, but most steel sheds are profile section so it gets fiddly. Can you not do a wooden shed?

If it comes to it - get some aluminium angle and make a frame, then clad with that recycled plastic "?farmboard?" cut with a plastic saw.

Reply to
js.b1

Agreed. Name and shame so others are aware.

Reply to
Keith W

Hate to tell you this but I have had a metal shed since 2004 and, so far, never had condensation problems. Of course there is no heating in there.

Reply to
Keith W

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

By accepting a replacement, Arthur agreed to a variation of the contract to supply the first shed. However, there would appear to still be a contract to supply the second shed. That does not mean that the supplier is responsible for supplying a replacement, but Arthur would have a case for reasonable damages for the breach of contract, which might be the cost of the base that he cannot now use. Whether it is worth pursuing that.through the Courts is another matter.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

So they may well be in breach of contract. Best remedy available will be to get your money back. I'm sure they wouldn't argue that.

The fact that there are knock-on expenses from the other work that has been done is 'consequential', and they will probably have no liability for consequential damages.

Best not pour concrete till you have the shed in your posession.

IMHO, of course.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

The first company was Internet Gardener failing to supply a 1.52m square metal shed for about £137 and taking 4 weeks or so to let me know. The 2nd company failing was Waltons that took my order and payment for a

1.52m x 1.41m metal shed and took a week to let know they couldn't. deliver. I've had both payments fully refunded. As suggested in my original post I will shove the base into the corner of the yard. and screw some cls to the walls and fix some plywood to it. Bang on a roof and bobs me uncle. It was always intended as a temporary solution to a storage problem hence not using a concrete base.

Thanks.

Arthur

do it.

Reply to
Arthur 51

If you are beside the Thames, then that is why you have not suffered from condensation. You are in a dry part of the UK.

If you lived a lot further North, like Lancashire, or Yorkshire, where cotton and wool made a fortune for the mill owners because of the damp atmosphere, your shed would suffer lots of condensation, regrettably.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

(Late I know). uk.legal is moderated - and in my experience - s l o w!

Reply to
dave

uk.legal isn't moderated.

uk.legal.moderated is moderated.

The titles give it away...

Reply to
Clive George

You may fall foul of Building Regulations if you use your boundary walls to build a shed.

Latest regs. seem to require the shed to be at least 0.5 metres from any boundary.

Your local Building Control Officer should be able to advise you if you want to check.

Don't know how worried BC will be about a small shed against a wall, though, as it is unlikely to be a nuisance or fire risk to your neighbours, which seems to be the main thrust of the legislation.

However, best to check before you decide what to do.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I'd agree, but with many shed suppliers, erection is an option, in which case you have to have the base ready for them on delivery day - in this case there would be a better chance of hitting them for any additional costs.

SteveW

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker