MS Autoroute

Autoroute sounds good. How often does it update its maps ? Do you have to do an update to get them ? What do they charge for the updates ? Can you install it on more than one PC ? Is the GPS version worth the extra ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

It has been every few years, when they bring out a new version. The last update was the 2010 version, the version before that was 2007, then before that, there was 2002. They now seem to be back on an annual update cycle. The program was until 2010, at least, re-written to a great extent each time, and the maps are tied to the program, so you can't use the 2010 maps to update the 2007 program. To a large extent, it has been replaced by the satnav programs, although Mappoint, which is the heavy duty version, is used by many companies with large fleets to plan their complicated routes.

Updating the application is the only way, IME.

The cost of the new program.

AR 2010 introduced activation similar to Windows, so it's possible, but not easy.

Only if you want to use your computer as a satnav.

For free, Mapfactor do a routing program, with free maps, which is just as well, considering the quality. If you want a larger screen than average for a satnav, buy one of the truckers' versions. If you just want mapping, then Google Maps has replaced Autoroute.

Otherwise, just pick one of the usual suspects, which all have strengths and weaknesses, but on average the only difference is the interface.

All IMHO and IME, of course.

Reply to
John Williamson

Must admit I didn't realise MS were still trying with this one, given that Google Maps/Navigate does all most people want for free. You can download a trial copy of Autoroute 2011 from the website at least, which should answer your queries.

Reply to
airsmoothed

I have an old version of Autoroute which I would not use for navigation. However with my old Garmin eTrex and a serial/USB converter I can use my PC as a "where am I in the big picture" device whilst I use my TomTom as a "where do I go next" device. This is only in the camper, though. There isn't enough dashboard space in the car for the portable. However it does work very well for me - gives me an idea where I am and removes some of the nervousness from just blindly following a satnav's instructions.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

This

an excellent programme. Possibly not an Autoroute substitute but very useful if you wish to manipulate and export routes between different formats.

No affiliation with the author, I just use with my Garmins.

Richard

Reply to
RJS

I used to use Autoroute for navigation/routeplanning but this is way before Satnavs were available to the general public, when it was owned developed by Nextbase (before MS bought it) and it was a DOS program not windows. This must have been in the late 80's. Do the route planning and print out the turn by turn instructions.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Me too :-) What really got to me was that, despite the improvements, each version took a step backwards.

Each new release, whilst it may well have great new features, seemed to throw out or screw up something from the previous version.

These comments were written at a time when I was still running

2000, but had seen 2005: *************** In earlier days you could run several alternative routes, and have them displayed simultaneously. Not any more.

It used to be possible to store, and use at will, a set of quite detailed profiles for different vehicles or driving styles. Not any more,

Once upon a time the characteristics of a road could be edited. Not any more.

You could avoid a particular road, not just an area. Not any more.

You could show or hide sets of pushpins as desired. Not any more.

I remain unconvinced that the developers had any real understanding of what users actually wanted.

***************

These days, I use TomTom in the car, but at my PC Google Maps seems to do a pretty good job of showing an overview, with instant alternatives. If planning something tricky, I usually compare the two systems.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Just to save me Googling, does Google Maps rely on a mobile broadband connection, or can you download the maps then run offline?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

There's a "Labs" add-on which lets you pre-cache maps over WiFi for specific areas, each with a 10 mile radius, some add-ons become permanent features, others go by the wayside ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

broadband

Caching is built into Google Maps version 5. You can choose whether to cache via WiFi only or WiFi and data network.

Reply to
Reentrant

I have version 6.3, caching is built in, but pre-caching is definitely an add-on.

Yes, the default is to only cache when using WiFi, if you have a chunky bandwidth plan, you can choose to cache over 3G/GPRS too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

is an excellent programme. Possibly not an Autoroute substitute but

Looks interesting. If you plan all your routes in advance, I imagine it would be better than updating your Garmin maps? How up to date are Google Maps I wonder. Certainly my Garmin maps were way out of date from day 1.

Reply to
stuart noble

Indeed I do do a fair bit of route planning in advance of trips. ITNConv allows me to exchange routes with those who have failed to realise that Garmin make the best GPS units - certainly for motorbike use. :-)

Richard

Reply to
RJS

> is an excellent programme. Possibly not an Autoroute substitute but

Google Maps still hasn't caught up with the Hindhead Tunnel (a major change to the A3)

Reply to
Bob Martin

I still use Autoroute 2002 in preference to any other mapping program

- google for instance comes up with some insane routes particularly cross country.

Reply to
The Other Mike