mr16 halogen lamp sockets with grub screws?

Hi,

Does anybody know where you can get sockets for mr16 bulbs that have built in grub screws to properly grip the pins of the mr16. I know these exist!

=== story ===

I have 12v mr16 halogen lamps all over the house and in general they are a disaster. They are always failing. One WC this morning had 4 lamps not working. However a few taps or wiggles of the connector and they all come back on fine. Indeed over the last 10 years I have had less than 5 of these bulbs go.

It is always the connector or socket that lets them down. The WC's and the kitchen also have ceiling mounted extraction fans and I wonder if the vibration from the fans could be affecting the sockets.

However in one WC the mr16 sockets had little grub screws in the socket that screwed into the pins of the mr16. These never failed and all bulbs are fine after 10years on use. (going dim but that is another story)

Reply to
Fergus McMenemie

You could possibly use a porcelain chocolate block connector if you can find one with the right pin spacing, and attach high temperature tails.

I'm sceptical that what you describe really exists as any kind of conforming lampholder, as the forces it puts on the pins are not what the lamp is designed for.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Some in my daughter's kitchen. A bit tricky with bifocals to undo! On a bar of 4.

Reply to
John

Well I have 6 of them in my bathroom. However you got me thinking.... the bulb fittings are very marginally smaller than the other mr16s around the place. Also the bracelet used to hold the bulb into the fitting is quite different.

The bulb socket does look as though it has been used as intended, it does not look a bodge. What is this about force? The only force is on the pin, is that any worse and a firm crimp?

Reply to
Fergus McMenemie