Moving Small Kitchen into Large Dining Room

Hi,

Just wondering if theres any problems/desing issues i'm maybe missing. I plan to move our small kitchen into large dining room ( Kitchen will be L shape ) the small kitchen will then become Utility room / toilet. The current dining room has high ceiling so I'm wondering how the kitchen will look in this with the space above the wall units - haven't seen any on display / in brochures!!

I was thinking of doing the stud wall for the tiolet myself but one thing differs form the DIY manuals. The current kitchen has a lowered ceiling so I'm presuming there will be no joists to nail the stud wall to, is there a way around this ?

Any Hints/tips/donations gratefully accepted ... (:

Joe.

Reply to
J.

If the ceiling is a suspended style, then you'll have to take the stud wall all the way up to the original ceiling above the dropped one. Smells from the loo will eventually find their way through any gaps you leave, so the best way to stop this, is not to leave any gaps.

Also, sounds from a loo are not the best things to hear when in a dining room or kitchen, so sound proofing is another thing to think about. The loo waste will also need to be separated from ordinary waste water from the utility room and kitchen areas, so make sure the solid waste stack is easily accessible from the position you want to fix the loo pan in.

Ventilation will also need to be tackled if you don't want people sitting in the dining area to smell the cooking mistakes you've made, so make sure you have enough air movement and things, around the rooms you're going to alter the use of.

Reply to
BigWallop

I've got high ceilings and the kitchen looks fine, including the wall units. You could always add a fake ceiling, but why bother? High ceilings rule, plus it's useful in a kitchen for smoke/smells etc.

F.

Reply to
Fraser

No problem at all. Many kitchens look better with high ceilings.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle