moving sink

I want to move a sink and washing machine about 5 meters, into a different room. The problem is that I am in a flat and the existing waste outlet will have to stay where it is.

Will there be enough fall in the waste system or will I get blockages all the time? Any solutions?

Thanks

Reply to
John G

The waste pipe from my sink (with dishwasher outlet attached) runs for 8 metres with only a 600mm drop. I've never had a blockage yet. That's surprising considering the amount of rice, peas etc that go down the plughole. You'd need to support the pipe well so that it doesn't sag when it's full of water.

Reply to
Nick

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:30:18 GMT someone who may be "John G" wrote this:-

How would anyone be able to say? You haven't given enough information.

These depend on you providing some useful information.

What size is the current waste? Is it horizontal or vertical? Does it go out through a wall, or connect to an internal stack?

If it is not possible to do the job by gravity then something like

the alternative.

Reply to
David Hansen

David,

Thanks

The new distance from the sink and wash m/c to a large bore vertical waste stack will be 7m. I can choose the bore of the new waste pipe as the old waste pipe will be completely removed

Reply to
John G

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:36:11 GMT someone who may be "John G" wrote this:-

Then this is what I would do:

1) install a new waste to a new saddle lower down on the stack. Plastic stacks are easy, cast iron ones require more care but can be fitted with a saddle if one is careful and gets the right sort of saddle.

2) fit an air admittance valve. The run will be rather longer than possible without one. I suspect this would be the case even if one was to go up a pipe size.

3) the aim is to have a gentle slope to the stack. The steeper the slope the more siphonage effect there will be. However, there must be some slope. Recommended gradients for particular lengths of run and pipe diameters are widely available, I look them up when I need to.

4) I might install one of the better washing machine traps. Alternatively I might provide a standpipe.

5) if I was going to continue to use the existing hot water supply then I would insulate the new hot pipe. Whether I did use the existing hot water supply would depend on the circumstances.

6) the hot and cold supplies should be designed to avoid air locks by suitable gradients.

Reply to
David Hansen