moving HW cyliner into the loft?

Only if it's other's money. His one bedroom council flat manages fine with a cheap combi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine.

750 for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar HE28. 750 for a DPS Pandora 180L. 160 for 4 zone valves 90 for 3 programmable thermostats

This has 3 heating zones, not two. It is capable of more than 40 litres per minute at 60C, not 40C. In fact, the system is mains flow rate limited, and you don't include the cost of room thermostats for your 1824.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Actually, they're pretty common. My mum's was capable of this BEFORE she decided to replace the incoming scaled up and leaky lead main with MDPE.

Mine will do about 50lpm. My system is capable of heating 50lpm to about

50C. More recent heat banks have bigger heat exchangers.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This have gone up since you bought your Pandora. From a recent post: "I've just had a quote from DPS for a HeatWeb Pandora - at 1104 plus VAT."

OK an extra £90 if you want clock stats which is £1914 (they have a clock on the boiler front). Still a great deal for the performance, AND you have backup for CH and DHW in the house. That is brilliant value for two boxes on the wall which are a doodle to fit, with virtually no electric control to do. Also the heat up in the morning is brilliant, with about 50kw heating up the house, and they modulate down. Also having them serviced is easy, but a normal heat bank and zone valve setup may flummox the local idiot plumber.

Yours is £2297, nearly £400 more ()even more if the integral boiler clocks are used, and a control scheme has to be worked out and a control box on the wall, with relays, etc, and the cylinder takes up space, as do the zone valves.

No contest. The two Alphas win hands down. They offer more, are cheaper, simpler, save space and are simpler to install.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're lucky. In this part of Sauf Lunnon 30 is good. Wonder what the 'legal' minimum is? Oh - and it's not just my house. I get near enough the same flow rate to the kitchen hot tap (15mm feed) off my storage system as I do from the mains cold. Friend living nearby in a brand new house is the same. Except they have a combi so have given up on baths. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wonder if it's leaking into the Northern Line and affecting the signals? :-)

9 lpm.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Most realise you can't do this with your hacksaw.

And most intelligent DIYers don't have problems with electrics.

Plumbers often do, however.

PM counter assistants even more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At least the rolling stock is new. ;-)

But I avoid the underground if possible. And easily done here by using the overground.

Yes. Thought it was a dribble for drivel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wombling free?

Enough for his 2 combis.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

I can't comment on other people's quotes. The range of options is huge. It could have been a much higher specified one.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That would be a good ad for a travel card. Not free of course, but the ability to use train bus or tube makes them great fun.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

..here is a man who doesn't know, a man who has no clue ..he's no clue about the things which are known to me and you

..he is vacant in his head ..no knoweldge, reason, logic, this must be said

..senile drivel and babble just comes so ..relentless, incoherrent in it flow

..it's time take no notice of this senile babbling fool ..just thank the Lord you are sane and cool

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maybe. But the two Alphas when you list all the points still comes in superior in:

- Performance (say one does one bathroom, one the other, one shower is not affected by a bath draw-off in the other bathroom. You could run two showers on each)

- Space saving

- Ease of instaltion

- CH warm up

- Simplicity

- NEVER running out of hot water

- modulates right down for CH

- easy to get serviced.

- readt skills understanding them

- A backup of CH and DHW in the house..and finally ..

- COST

The Alphas also have internal cylones which catch debris

Common sense would point you towards the two Alphas, in a two CH zone two bath setup. And in the all important cost it has the edge.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nah. The Pandora can handle a higher flow rate. With a large bore supply to the heat bank and separate draw off runs from there to the shower, there should be little cross affect, especially as water temperature is little affected by flow rate. (It is affected slightly on mine above 40lpm, but modern ones have larger exchangers so should not be affected).

Two holes for the flues, sufficiently far apart to comply with regs.

With direct connection of the rads to the heat bank, the rads will heat up far more quickly than with even 2 combi boilers. Even with the radiators connected to the system boiler, 28kW heats up the entire system in a couple of minutes, which is fine.

Except with gas failure. The Pandora has electrical backup. Very useful indeed.

Actually, with 2 boilers, the modulating down is worse. If both zones need heat, your minimum modulation is double what it would have been.

It only handles 2 zones easily. Any more and you're into S-Plan-Plus anyway.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Two Alphas, supplying a bathroom each will deliver around 20 l/min, around

40 l/min, not far off a heat banks 45.

Not a problem. Fitting two side by side on stacked is easy enough.

The two Alphas pour in around 25-26kW to each floor.

That can be incorporated in-line of you want

The stats would satisfied quicker too, switching out the boiler. Good clock/stats have anti-cylcle control, as does the Alpha itself.

The call for more than 2 zones is slight and then heat banks have to be assessed, or adding the odd zone valve to one of the Alphas. For most 4/5 bed two bathroom homes two Alphas makes a lot of sense. Most points favour that approach.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel