Moving home, errrrr shed.

Say you're moving home but the new place doesn't have a shed, yet. What the devil does anyone do with all the shed stuff in the meantime? Woodstock, metalstock, racks of electronic bits, power tools, hand tools, bandsaw, pillar drill, shelving you want to take, racks, compressor, then there's all the stuff under the bench, paint, glues, boxes of plumbing bits, reels of cable, it's endless.

Reply to
brass monkey

shipping container - to become new "ready filled" shed?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

IME most of it belongs in a skip, pots of rock hard glue, paint that's 20 years old that 'might come in handy' but has turned into a yellow rock, broken drills / hedgeclippers / broken lawnmowers etc etc etc.

If you carefully go through the stuff that you really want and need, you'll porobably find that half of it has been re-classified into 's**te'.

Buy a cheapo panel shed from shed supplier, get them to install it before you move in, do a few runs and get the good stuff in there, then when you've moved in, you can sell the cheap shed and build a proper one, or if it's large enough, keep it for now

Reply to
Phil L

The mind boggles - I would need several shipping containers. There's a shed full of wood for turning, the workshop as described by the OP, the second workshop with the metal working gear in it; then there's the garden shed, the bike shed, the green house and as for the attic !!

Reply to
robgraham

Hire a storage container. The inconvenience of not having anything to hand will be a great incentive to get the place properly equipped.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I would put it in the lounge.

To be honest, I have put it in the lounge and it is still in the lounge.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I would put it in the lounge.

To be honest, I have put it in the lounge and it is still in the lounge.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They do stack :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A place I used to work sent large industrial compressors (weights of 80 tons or so) in very large custom built packing cases - clients sometimes specified them to have doors, windows, insulation, proper roofing etc. so after shipping and storage, they could be used as site huts. Probably a bit expensive for what you need though :(

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Every time I have a clear-out, I find items that have sat there for ten years, untouched, so I get rid of them and every single time, I'm doing something in the next few days and think, oh, I just need a ... I've got one of those somewhere ... damn, I threw it away! Usually something that I can't just drop into the local B&Q for either.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've already classified the s**te as s**te ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

Yep, often happened to the old chap, and has happened to me.

Reply to
brass monkey

Thanks Owain, presumably I put the wood working facility in the bottom one so I can build stairs to the upper ones. Wonder if I would need Planning Permission !! ? :>) Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You could argue it's not a structure ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's the Law Of Retrospective Usefulness which states that an item which is kept because it'll be useful one day will not so become until at least 'one day' after disposal. The acronym - LORU - is also Estonian for slob; in this case, a perdon who has a shedload of tqt.

Reply to
PeterC

Look for rented self storage units; some are quite generously sized and affordable. They're handy as a kind of half-way house because you can begin putting stuff in before you move and save some of the hassle of the moving day itself.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

lol :)

Sounds like you need an instant shed. Quickest way I can think of is to put a tarp and some some pallets on the ground, surround them with fence panels, tie those together, and over the top tie 2x4s and a tarp. A good shed its surely not, but its instant protection for all but the worst weather, and all the parts are reusable. Then you can take the time to build somethig decent.

NT

Reply to
NT

At last! A reply from someone in the real world, rather than the world of good intentions.

Reply to
Tahi

But it's warm and dry and safe in the lounge. And a lot more convenient than having to go out to a shed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Had a similar situation - large asbestos garage needed to come down, new concrete base installed and new concrete panel garage in its place. Required > 2 weeks of no garage, and had to store bikes, tools, paints, toys etc etc.

Step one was to chuck anything we didn't need.

Step two was to put reasonable stuff inside the house (e.g. garden chairs, small toys, cricket bats etc etc)

Step three was to find spaces in the garden where we could provide cover - mainly a "swing seat" with its winter cover on (which reached down to the ground).

Had step three not solved most of the problem, we would have purchased a tarp and simply piled stuff underneath to weather proof.

Matt

Reply to
larkim