Moving gas meter box

Lots of threads on electric supply but little on gas....

Does anyone have recent experience of requesting a meter box move involving an extension of the supply side piping?

I am doing some construction work which will deprive the existing box of a supporting wall. I suppose a brick *shed* could be built round it but leave it 0.5m clear of the building and exposed to passing road traffic.

The other interesting feature is that the supply is from a medium pressure main giving Siemens untold grief as they keep trying and failing to change the meter:-)

For inertia reasons, I am still supplied by BG!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Good luck with anything to do with gas connections. I gave up trying to get my gas reconnected as they had removed a meter but not provided a new one, but still kept sending bills. Nobody has overall responsibility. The road connection is one lot, testing that connection is another, fitting a meter yet another, and turning on the gas another still! I moved to the girlfriend's!

Spamlet

Reminds me of a house I bought in Liverpool where the gas had been cut off when they put a new main in the road. My house was not connected because it was empty when the new main was put in.

So I applied to have the gas connected ( the meter was still there)

Q. Do you have a garden? A. No there is a step down onto the pavement.

Man comes to inspect the property before fitting the supply. Him "You have got a garden" Me " There is a one third metre strip between the house and the pavement" Him "That counts as a garden and will cost an extra =A3300 for running the pipe across the garden" Me "

****!!!***!!! "

I had no choice but to pay up!

Reply to
chudford

We did this last year. it cost about =A3500 IIRC and they did a good job. We had to provide and build in the new box and then they came and routed the incoming supply to it and fitted the meter. As I remember it, the supplier was irrelavant - it was the supply drid people who did the work.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Hi,

We had to do this last year when we built our extension. Gas meter was in a hideous white box on the front of the house, very obtrusive for the design of house. Contacted our local distribution company Southern Gas Networks (SGN), we're in Surrey. They sent over a quote for about =A3400 as I recall. We had the box changed to a brown semi concealed box that is half buried in the ground. Only difficult part was one crew came day one to move the supply and install the new box, then a second crew came a day later to install a new meter - as a different one was required for the different box. Finally Corgi came and connected up meter to new pipe work. On that basis I'm glad we did it in the summer and made sure the imersion heater worked first. Overall not too difficult, but required some coordination.

Marc

Reply to
marc

Ring them up. It's a basic fee plus charge for distance - if you fill the form in on the internet but the bloke said if we'd got everything ready it could have been put elsewhere for next to nothing. Whether that's true or not I don't know -

mogga

In message , mogga writes

Eastern England 0-2m 674ukp plus a further 61.76ukp to reconnect the meter.

I was rather after actual experience as in they did or didn't turn up etc.

At 700+ it is rather tempting to put a *bulge* in the new brickwork to re-house the existing meter box. Buttress? External pier?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

i had the meter in our place moved from the kitchen to an outside box last month.

cost us £300, but that was cos i got it done on the side, asked a bloke i saw fitting a gas meter at another property one day, and he arranged to come round one sunday and do it, cash in hand etc.

they re-used the old meter, which i wanted as it's an old cubic foot reading one, and i didnt want the hassle of being charged 3 times the real price for the cubic meter usage till they sort them selves out,

took about an hour all in, one bloke dug down to the pipe, clamped it off and cut it, (plastic pipe of course, just used a G clamp like thing to squish the pipe) another bloke removed the old meter, cut the pipes and removed them,

wall box mounted (they had to borrow my mains sds drill as their battery one couldent go through the tough bricks of our place) they ran the new pipe to the meter underground whilst another bloke cut the copper 22mm pipe to re-connect the meter to the house system.

plumbed it all in, connected the plastic pipes together with what i assume is a high frequancy welder type thing (big square box, 2 heavy duty leads come out and are pushed into the stubs on the joiner piece, turn it on, wait till it beeps, job done, new pipe welded to the old.

they re-filled the hole, but wouldent put the slabs back down, not a thing they do apparantly, even on official jobs :)

leak tested the instlation, checked the boiler lit once the air was out of the pipes, job done, and i could get on with fitting the kitchen without having to waste a cupboard for the gas meter now.

The problem is finding someone doing a meter instlation in your area to ask,

Reply to
gazz