moving gas meter

Thanks - clarified and makes sense.

Reply to
polygonum

. snipped-for-privacy@fx04.am... > djc wrote: >> You are a troll AICMFP >> > > He's on di= ybanter, so it';s unlikely, any troll worth their salt would have a > news = account. Actually diybanter would be an ideal site to troll, as most of the= m wouldn't know what a troll was. Many of the forums I've = read seem to have their fair share of them. As to the original question, pr= esumably to move a gas meter you'd need to disconnect the incoming supply p= ipe to the meter, which as a DIY'er you'd have means of readily closing it = off. Which could prove interesting, for the neighbours as well, even for no= n-smokers. michael adams

When we had ours moved they shut off the gas supply by clamping the plastic= pipe flat!

Robert Laws

Reply to
RobertL

have a > news account. Actually diybanter would be an ideal site to troll, as most of them wouldn't know what a troll was. Many of the forums I've read seem to have their fair share of them. As to the original question, presumably to move a gas meter you'd need to disconnect the incoming supply pipe to the meter, which as a DIY'er you'd have means of readily closing it off. Which could prove interesting, for the neighbours as well, even for non-smokers. michael adams

Did that to the big new main they laid down the street here a few years ago. I suppose it must be designed for such stress.

As to the original post, I still smell Troll. If anyone wanted to rattle the cage here, diybanter would be the perfect place to post anonymously and the sit back.

Reply to
djc

wow.. so much hatred...

all i wanna know is "is it a normal thread" and just tight as ****.

i know how to undo nuts... just never undone a nut on a gas meter before.

anyone wanna just give me a yes or no answer.

thevilla1

Or a larger hammer / longer spanner ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC you need between 5% and 15% concentration to be in the explosive range... so that is quite a high volume of gas when you think about the volume of a typical room.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you need to ask, then you need to get an approve gas fitter to do the work for you.

If you mess up your electrics then the worst that can happen is that you electrocute yourself and if you're really unlucky members of your family as well. Fatalities maybe, but usually no big damages to pay to 3rd parties. And all solved by switching off the supply at the mains

If you mess up the water then the worst that can happen is that you flood yourself out, and if in a flat the people downstairs. No fatalities but ruined carpets and furniture and damages to pay to anyone downstairs and solved by switching off the stop tap.

If you don't know what you're doing and mess up the gas, potentially you could kill yourself and your family and blow up half the street. With lots of damages to be paid out of your estate if there's anything left. And all to save a few quid.

michael adams

michael adams

True. It is so easy to get it wrong with gas. The faulty work might not show up until a few years after you did it, too.

Which is the reason I'll happily work on a Calor Gas installation in a caravan, but for *any* other gas installation, I get a man in. Then it's

*his* liability insurance that gets hit if he gets it wrong.
Reply to
John Williamson

Its a normal thread...

Reply to
John Rumm

Obviously, angle grinder. Especially in this case.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I was under the impression that if you wanted a meter moved it had to be done by your gas supplier. Same as an electric meter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are right. That doesnt stop people taking a chance doing it themselves, I've seen loads of installations that are unsafe through people moving their supplies.

Reply to
A.Lee

I for sure moved my meter.

Had to. The house itw as attached to wasn't there..

Never actually disconnected it though.

The new house was designed so it would go back more or less in te same place.

Did get the leccy man in to replace the seal after it was reconnected to the new CU, though. Had to pull the fuse to do that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It could be a novel defence to "did you move that meter?", "no, still in the same place, I just shifted the street over 3'".

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the thing is that its dangerous to move a meter without disconnecting the upstream feed IF you have to disconnect it from the incoming and its also a neat way to bypass the meter..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I bought this place, it was on two electric supplies. Had a week to get it onto one - requirement of the BS. Leccy board couldn't come for two weeks so I removed the offending one myself. When they did come to do it just handed it over. Got a bit of a look from the chap. ;-)

Luckily, the gas board did come in that week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)