Moving Dishwasher and Washing Machine

Have just spent a horrendous few hours removing the above from my fitted kitchen in preparation for new flooring . Trouble is that they are both boxed in quite tightly and with the worksurface on top there's no way of getting any lift at the back of the appliances. Given that they're very heavy there was no option but to just pull and drag but I don't fancy pushing and heaving to get them back never mind what their square metal feet are likely to do to my new floor. I have one of these trolley affairs with a lip but that's only good for lift at the front of the appliance or when moving the appliance once free. I seem to remember seeing advertised a set of rollers/ballbearings? (how I wish I had paid more attention!) for precisely this kind of situation although I can't imagine how you could remove them from the back of the appliance in a restricted place to lower the appliance down. Would the likes of B&Q carry anything that might be of help? Any advice gratefully received. I have a couple of days to prepare! Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sheet of MDF. Place MDF in front of the washing machine/... space. Place washing machine on top of the MDF. Push into place.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Many kitchen fitters use a thick spaying of pledge on the floor, and then it slides in. After spread the pledge and a nice clean floor.

Reply to
IMM

Problem with MDF & washing machine/dishwasher is WATER. It will soon break down

Try a piece of hardboard instead, pull in out afterwards.

To lift the back of washing machine/dishwasher, simple,

Dishwasher first, open door place hands & forearms in like fork lift, close door until it presses against forearms, press against door with knees & lean back, they weigh less than 40Kg so waddle backwards. This does hurt a bit but it WORKS

Washing machine, open door, reach in & grab drum rim with one hand, place toes against plinth line of washing machine, place other hand against front of worktop, pull drum rim towards you while pushing against worktop, the back of the machine will lift off floor, because the front cant move forwards

If you had lifted the front of the machine & slid in the piece of hardboard first, the machine will then slide forward as you shuffle back, until back feet are over the hardboard, then lower back & pull. Make sure the back of the hardboard does not sit in top of the rear foot flange, the feet are like inverted T, if there are wheels at back [washing machine not D/W] no need for hardboard, BUT watch out for the front of the flooring of the fitters did not run it right under the machine.

TURN OFF WATER FIRST!!

I still have to do this now & again.

Reply to
kitchenman

==================== Have a look at:

Look in 'Furniture casters / miscellaneous / appliance rollers'. These are stocked by 'Focus / Do-it-All.

Be warned - they're about an inch high so not much use if you haven't got some clearance at the top.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well, yes.

The MDF is only used for the few seconds you are sliding the dishwasher/... in, to prevent scarring the floor.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I just had a new floor layed and the fitter lubricated where the dishwasher feet would slide with washing up liquid. It then slid in quite easily.

Reply to
John Smith

I have seen hardboard used with pledge under the hardboard and the shiny side down. Slid in a treat.

Reply to
IMM

After a while the washing up liquid will dry out, then almost weld the feet to the floor, been there done that too

Reply to
kitchenman
[top-post demunged and appropriate quoting formatted]

The fitter of course would be well gone by that time. :-/

Washing-up liquid is used to ease the fitting of foam handlebar covers on bicycles - that they subsequently stick is an advantage.

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

Lift the front edge of the appliance and slide an old blanket under the front legs. Then pull forward to lift the rear legs and slide out. Repeat in reverse for refitting.

If you slide enough spare blanket under the front then as you pull the appliance out the blanket spreads out and you can eventually get the rear feet on it too. Then it's a doddle to slide it around the room by just pulling the blanket.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

The sets of rollers are available from Argos at 8.99ukp per pair. They are left in situ. They sit just inboard of the feet so don't increase the height much. When the appliance is pushed back, the front rollers are locked. My washing machine has been on them for years and they work fine. Argos catalogue number 841/9356.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks to all those who replied to my earlier query about moving heavy fitted kitchen appliances; runners of thin ply well lubricated with Pledge was indeed the answer and refitting the items then became 'easy peasy'. Kitchenman - I'm really full of admiration at your technique for lifting dishwashers but when I tried it I just about severed my forearms, put my back out, and succeeded in lifting the rear not one bit :-). Your advice was much appreciated however but I'll either have to practice more or start taking steroids. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for the heavy stuff. With thanks again, Bill

Reply to
Bill