Moving a piano into a basement

Do you participate in Usenet discussions with the primary aim of alarming people?

Reply to
Bruce

I don't see anyone being alarmed by my questions.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Where did I suggest that you were even remotely successful?

Reply to
Bruce

if you used a winch to ease it down is there anywhere to tie the winch so the rope/steel cable would be straight?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

How not to do it:

shaun

Have you tried Pickfords? They move all kinds of things.

Also, try a Google UK search on "equipment removals", or search online Yellow Pages (yell.com) for "Removals - Business & Industrial" in your area.

Reply to
Bruce

Huh?

Reply to
R D S

I didn't say you did.

My aim wasn't to alarm anyone, so my lack of success at doing so is a positive outcome.

What positive outcome resulted from your reply?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

To make it "lighter", presumably.

Reply to
Bruce

Mostly into their own pockets. I'd rather pile my possessions up into a heap and burn them than entrust them to Pickfords.

Reply to
Huge

indeed

Reply to
OG

Put it on a pallet with some wheels on ( lidl had some triangular boards with wheels you could use two of last week). Put some two by fours as tracks down the stairs and as a hinged ramp at the top. Attach a winch to the end of the hinged bit at the top. Jack the top bit up until you can roll it down the track using the winch. One man job. ;-)

Failing that cut a hole in the floor and lower it down before making good, also a one man job.

Reply to
dennis

In message , shaun writes

Reply to
geoff

I would recommend against wheels, for the downhill part anyway. Friction is your friend at that point. To move across the floor to the stairs you might need a winch, or one of those pallets with wheels, or maybe just some slippery material (heavy plastic?), depending on what sort of floor you have. If the stairs need protection you could get some old carpet, run it down the stairs and attach the top firmly. Once the thing is perched at the top of the stairs get a good rope or two on it, with a turn around some solid anchor post. A little push and you're on your way. You'll be surprised how much friction the rope generates, controlling the descent will not be difficult. I recently lowered two heavy pieces of furniture off the 2nd story balcony of my house using two ropes in this manner.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Reply to
Gib Bogle

There is no problem with wheels if you use them correctly. If you are going to c*ck it up then skids aren't going to help.

Reply to
dennis

Aaarrggghhhh don't get me started on them. I'd rather pile up the workforce of Pickfords and burn them. "Your furniture will be placed in our secure store overnight."

"Where is the mahogany sideboard, and the silverware?"

"We don't take responsibility for pilfering from our yard, sir."

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've tried this twice. First time, the piano shifters shifted the optical bench happily and competently, despite it costing considerably more than a piano (even the Devon piano)

Second time, in a different town, the piano people wouldn't touch a S/H film editing desk that was of marginal value. So I shifted it myself, using my engine crane. handy gadget that, but very rarely used for engines.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Christ!

Reply to