Moving a gas meter

Hi all,

Really hope you can help - we just moved to a small terraced house wit a big gas meter uder the stairs. Because the kitchen is so tiny we ar hoping to do as some of our neighbours have and put our fridg freeze in the space under the stairs. In order to do this we need to move ou gas meter elsewhere. I rang the gas suppliers who put me throught t fulcrum and they've sent a really complicated application form to fil out. However I'm finding it really hard to complete as it all seems t assume you are wanting to move your gas meter outside the house..... w only want to move it to the back of the house into the utility room. An ideas about how tricky this is? We obviousley won't try to do i ourselves! But is it a big, expensive task, and do we need to g through FUlcrum if we are only moving it to another place within th house?

Fulcrum won't offer us any advice and the application pack is nightmare!

-- jofreeman2000

Reply to
jofreeman2000

freezer

house..... we

room. Any

What is the problem with having the meter outside (the front of your house)? ISTM that you are making things far more complicated than they need to be by the sounds of it, once past the company gas valve and meter you will have far more options (within the regulations) to do as you please.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Jo,thew problem is that the meter almost always has to be a fixed maximum distance from the incoming gas service pipe (main). The gas service entry is where the main on/off valve is. The distance between this valve and the meter is determined by the length of the connector between the two. This is normally a silver coloured flexibel steel tube though in older properties it could be a piece of lead pipe. Now if your meter needs to go round the back of the house or whatever,then the incoming service pipe needs to be moved also. This is where it gets expensive as this usually involves excavating the road outside and laying a new plastic service pipe to the new meter position.

You say its a "big" gas meter. A normal domestic gas meter isnt that big. Maybe you dont need such a "big" meter in your house? Perhaps you could post a link to a picture and we can have a look at it.

joe

tarquinlinbin

Hi Jo

Did you ask your neighbours what they did? It's all to easy to get drawn into someone else's view of what you're trying to achive rather than following the path of someone who's already done it.

HTH IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes