Moving a back boiler

We have a very noisy Baxi Bermuda back boiler. We are about to embark on the redecoration of our living room and feel it would be a good time to move the boiler into the loft (we understand that this is feasible). Has anyone had any experience of moving a back boiler? We haven't obtained any quotes yet, but guess it will be an expensive job!

Jo

Reply to
Jo

I presume you mean scrapping the back boiler and installing a new one in the loft?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You do not want to move that boiler anywhere except to the scrap man. You may not reuse it, it is too old to be of any further use. You almost certainly may not replace it with another back boiler.

You could do worse that to look over the BoilerChoice FAQ below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Aah!, I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Sorry for such a daft question. Yes, of course we would need to scrap the boiler and install a new one. I didn't realise that the back boiler was attached to the gas fire in some way. In any case, the existing one doesn't do a very good job of heating the house, so a complete reshuffle would be good.

Reply to
Jo

OK, well given that, you can site a boiler in the loft.

There are a few issues, but not insurmountable ones.

- The boiler will need to be a condensing model because of new energy saving legislation from last year. This will give improved gas consumption especially in comparison with a old back boiler. However, a small drain will need to be provisioned to allow condensate water from the boiler to be fed away. Typical options for this might be to feed it down to join a soil stack in the bathroom for example.

- Power and gas will need to be provisioned for the loft.

- A boarded area, safety rail and ladder for the loft will need to be provided to the loft. These are probably useful anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Someone near here has a very ugly 22mm pipe running up to the loft on the outside of the house. Because of the slightly tortuous route it's got about half a dozen wiggles in it. Shame they couldn't go up next to the internal soil-stack. If I ever have to put the boiler in the loft that may be what I'll do.

Reply to
Guy King

Don't forget to comply with the regs about gas pipes in vertical ducts. All in the BS docs linked below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from Ed Sirett contains these words:

Don't suppose you can remember which one?

Reply to
Guy King

I think you will find if you can find a knowledgeable enough plumber a back bolier can be replaced like for like and non-condensing, as this is not a suitable place for a condensing boiler.

My mate had his Baxi Bermuda back boiler and fire front done quite recently (to a new Baxi and flame fire front). Main issues were:-

- there is no way to vent the fumes (existing flue goes staight upto roof). - Can't vent sideway as front of house is just windows and at rear of house end up next to back door. - there is no where to drain any condensate - All the water, hot water and CH pipes are in the back boiler space.

- Plumbers want to fit condensing boiler in kitchen/loft/anywhere as they then can charge £4-5K.

Anyway a gas fitter/plumber came round, spent a while looking, filled a form to work out if possible to fit an alternative, eyed up kitchen cupbards to put boiler there, measured required pipework/bent lengths and a lot of other stuff and said "it's a back boiler for you mate". Something to do with scoring and locations. Anyway I think my mate said £2.2K total for replacement boiler + some other work (replacing leaking radiators) + replacing some damaged valves in airing cupboard.

Reply to
Ian_m

Snag is a back boiler is about the most inefficient type known to man. There were more efficient alternatives 30 years ago, let alone now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BS 6891

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Problem is in this type of terraced house there is simply no other place for the boiler to go. Kitchen was too small (2.3m x 2.3m) to loose a cupboard for it + venting with exit near his or neighbours windows. Back boiler space again venting with exit near his or his neighbours windows/door. Loft is not very high and would have been on far side of HWCH tank with no access from loft hatch other than climb over HW/CH tank so rejected as unsuitable. All my mate wanted was a replacement boiler, didn't care where as long as reasonable cost and didn't involve ripping the house apart too much.

Reply to
Ian_m

In this situation you should easily be able to get an exemption from the need to install a condensing boiler. It then comes down to price and what's possible with the flue.

Reply to
Ed Sirett