Moving a 200kg rad

Short of getting four of us to manhandle the thing, anyone got any bright ideas to move a 200kg radiator like this one:

I did think of a couple of sack trucks, one at each end, but I think it'll bend the loading plate.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

Get two of you to manhandle it? (Only works if you are both built like Geoff Capes).

Build a scaffold framework, then hook up a block and tackle?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

that looks at most 50kg.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a couple of triangular plates, c 800mm per side, with 100mm diameter industrial castors at each corner for moving large, heavy objects by myself.

Alternatively, hire a set of machinery skates.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

From a quick google you are looking at 6 to 7 kg/section the one above is 14 sections so 84 to 98 kg.

As for moving it a few blokes ought to be able get it, one end at a time, onto a length of scaff board (or similar) on rollers (bar or scaff tube). Really depends on how far and over what it needs to be moved. If it's only a short distance it might be "walkable", pick up one end move it in an arc, pick up other end repeat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Jon Connell scribbled...

Moving it where? Upstairs - downstairs - middle of the room - to the dump?

Reply to
Artic

Sounds like a useful thing to construct. Mind you, I'm not moving the bloody things again. Once the tiles are down, these things are staying put.

Ah. Or hire an engine hoist perhaps. I keep forgetting that HSS hire out a massive range of stuff.

Reply to
Jon Connell

Around 20m away to another room so I can tile the floor.

To the dump? *shudder*

Reply to
Jon Connell

Earthquake of magnitude 4 or greater Remove foundations of house and wait for subsidence Angle grinder A pack of pikeys

200kg sounds a bit high though.

What I would have suggested is a specific product from Machine Mart but given their treatment of Rick Hughes I can't bring myself to suggest anything from that bunch of litigious shysters.

Reply to
The Other Mike

A couple of wheeled boards / platforms would do it. Lift one end onto a board, then the other onto another. (use a long lever under one end if need be with someone stabilising the top of the rad)

(I would be surprised if that really is 200kg though

Reply to
John Rumm

It's well over a metre wide, 760mm high and almost 300mm deep.

puts it at 11kg per section and there are 17 sections. I don't make this stuff up you know :P

Reply to
Jon Connell

Jon Connell scribbled...

So you can use rollers.

I know a woman who bought 2 cast iron rads off Ebay. Cost a fortune, hire van etc. Had them cleaned up - both were rusted through.

They went to the dump.

Reply to
Artic

Hi-lift jack to raise it and put it, one end at a time, on a plank with big castors fixed under?

If you don't want it then smash it with a big hammer (and PPE) and carry the bits out?

Sell it on ebay - buyer collects.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

You will wonder how you ever did without them if you make a pair.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

get say 4 broom handles lay the rad on them and push it along with one finger. You just need to stop every so often and move the broom handles along. I done this with 3 x 2 slabs.

Reply to
ss

"lay the rad on them" easy to say bit with a makers spec dry weight of 185 kg (3.65 cwt, 29 stone) easier said than done. B-)

Might work with the broom handles at right angles to the sections of cast iron rad. But if the edges of then sections are a bit pointy I wouldn't be surprised to see a "pipe cutter" effect after too long.

That's only 60 to 70 kg...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've moved a whole container on scaffold poles as rollers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jeez .. thats only just under 1.5 times my body weight and SWMBO can ..Well thats too much info;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Watch this guy....

ss