Moveable satellite dish.

Hi, with the current BBC/Sky outrage regarding F1, there is no way I am = =

prepared to pay =A3600 a year to watch the other half of the races (=A36=

00 is =

what it will cost to watch in HD as it is now).

Anyway, I already have a Feesat setup, with a Sky box. I am thinking o= f =

paying for a motorised dish, so I can watch the free to air RTL coverage= =

(and listen to the commentary on Radio5).

Anyone know about what I will need to set this all up. A one-off =A310=

0 =

motorised dish spend is far better than =A3600/PA and the dirty feeling = of =

giving money to Murdoch.

Reply to
MarkG

Me neither ....

^^^^^^ heh!

Sky boxes won't control motorised dishes, so you'd need an additional or replacement FTA receiver (not sure whether Freesat boxes will either). Rather than a motorised dish, an alternative is a fixed dish with an extra LNB aimed at 19.2E in addition to the current one aimed at 28.2E, still a sky box won't operate a diseqc switch, so a new receiver is on the cards either way.

There's a recent discussion on just this sort of thing in uk.tech.digital-tv.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Our Panasonic Freesat telly or PVR have no facilty to control a dish that I am aware of. I do have vague memories of them being able to use a different bird and 19.2E has a small tinkle associated with this vauge memory.

That's one way or FTA kit of receiver and another dish (that could be made steerable and controlled by it's dedicated receiver). All the messy source selection being done via HDMI inputs to the telly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd expect at the very least to have to take it out of Freesat mode, into FTA mode, to let it see non-EPG channels, at which point you probably don't get the EPG and have to start knowing all the parameters for each transponder you want to scan.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes you can do that but don't try it on a standard sky minidish waay too small. If you have no diseq switching you should be able to buy a small fixed F connector type switch for when U want the furrign stuff..

We've got the sort of setup you might need outside in the garden. Four LNB's are on Two dishes and supply Four receivers visa Diseq switching.

Its not the complected or expensive try a post as recommended to uk.tech.digital-tv..

You could set up a steerable receiver but it seems to me to be more trouble than fixed dishes for what you want..

Reply to
tony sayer

zaax

That reminds me, I have 4 quattro LNB's on a dish feeding a Multiswitch. All my sat boxes are connected to this, and to get around the fact that freesat boxes and sky boxes do not use Diseqc, I put the 28.2E Quattro on port one of the multiswitch.

I've a panasonic HD TV that offers support for 19.2E and 13.0E in non-freesat mode but the TV does not support diseqc 1.0.

So is there a gadget I can put between this TV and the wall socket that will allow me to generate the port C and the Port D signals so that the multiswitch will switch for me, so I can then watch 19.2E or 13.0E on this TV without using a standalone HD sat reciever via HDMI?

Reply to
Stephen

In article , Stephen scribeth thus

Odd that Freesat is just a name for free to view satellite TV which means channels that aren't encoded..

I think so, try giving Satellite superstore a ring there're very good...

Reply to
tony sayer

I have just found this,

looks like a solution to my problem.

Initially I was concerned about how to get the band switching and polarity signals through it from the reciever to the Multiswitch but it appears to have an OR function with regards to the switch settings and whats provided by the reciever so I can leave the switches in the off position for 22Khz tone and voltage and these will pass through from Rx to the multiswitch

The 17x16 multiswitch I have is incidentally an EMP centauri too and i've been pleased with it.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen