Mounting flat screen TV on wall and discreet cabling

Reply to
Huge

I've googled it but the best it came up with was young married young adult.

As I'm not young I don't think that's it. No idea.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Latham

You're Me You Are

Reply to
S Viemeister

... 'tis basic ergonomics: the top of a display screen that's used regularly should be no higher than eye height - looking up at something exposes more of the eye's surface and can lead to drying, also leads to strain in neck muscles. This comes from being seated in an office chair with an upright back, so can be relaxed if lounged back on a sofa.

Reply to
<no_spam

Thanks. Looks like that would work. I'm a little wary of the extra junctions, though.

I'm coming round to the idea of just cabling every available connection (apart from the ones on the side) with long cables which can be tidied through the chimney and down the back of the components in the fireplace.

Have the TV on a high stand then lift on, and accept that any major change will require a lift off/on.

Bracket has a quick release so no screws or bolts to mess with.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Thanks! Very useful pictures.

I note that it looks like a conventional style (MDF?) Hi-Fi cabinet fitted into the opening and that the TV hangs down over the top of the cabinet area concealing the hole behind.

As discussed further up thread (apparently to the horror of most) the TV is going quite a bit further up the wall.

Apart from the viewing angle being more comfortable for us, this also gives room for the centre speaker of the surround sound 5:1 rig to sit underneath the TV and above the fireplace.

Was your fireplace opening that high anyway or did you remove the top to make it larger?

Oh, and any pictures of the finished article? That would also be very helpful.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Or just walking along. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

I think there was a BBC engineering monograph on the matter, seem to remember it said that it was recommended for the least eyestrain to set the screen some 15 to 20 deg below the viewers eye height...

Reply to
tony sayer

Thanks.

Last resort as it is all newly plastered and I don't want to start hacking it about.

Fortunately, I think I am nearly at a solution combining carious suggestions.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Ah yes, that's understandable. Good to hear that you've found another solution.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes, that about it.

cabinet made from MDF and a few bits of mitred moulding with routed slots for custom glass shelves to take the HTPC, surround amp and centre dialogue speaker with another MDF shelf hidden behind the bottom of the TV, for a WiFi access point, various power bricks, cables etc.

And to my horror in my first reply too ..

I knocked about half a dozen shoddy bricks from beneath the lintel, they were mainly held up by will-power and plaster.

Not yet unfortunately ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

People in wheelchairs get neck ache at social events where many people stand.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Go to your local hospital and to the physiotherapy unit. Ask for a leaflet on back etc strain - and how to minimise future problems.

You'll likely find information there about the best posture - and about computer monitor heights.

Rather more helpful than your surmises.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But others who have had or may have in the future do. Preferably good advice - which we never ever get from you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)