Mounting a pedestal unit

I've got to mount a replacement pedestal unit in a bathroom. No problem with doing this job, but it's thrown up a small quandrary.

The old pedestal sink was screwed to the wall thru the wall tiles, which is to say that the wall was tiled first and the sink put up afterwards.

Maybe I'm being a bit dumb about this, but I was inclined to believe that the sink should be mounted directly onto the wall, and then the tiles added around the sink.

What do others think?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Definitely tiles on first, then basin over the top. Check any bathroom showroom and you'll see them done this way. Tiles cut around one has the hallmarks of a shoddy makeover job.

The only time tiles could be fitted after, is when it's just a single row used as a splashback over the width of a basin.

Reply to
Toby

You live and learn! That'll make the job easier then ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Always fully tile first - then fit china ware.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Or invest in a electric tile cutter, and settle down for many hours of fun...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for that!

I had imagined that sealing the pedestal basin to the tiles may have created a less than satisfactory bond, possibly leading to the tiles being pulled away from the way at some point in the future. Clearly I was wrong - yet again this newsgroup proves its worth!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

On my Xmas pressie list as we speak.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP