moulded internal panel doors

Has anyone any knowledge about internal moulded panel doors, if so is there any difference between a builders merchant, say Jewsons =A340 after negotiation doors by Jeld Wen & a diy store =A320 one. I know there are variations in quality but I cannot tell the difference.

Thanks

technical123

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" contains these words:

Yes, they're very noisy. Opening and closing them normally sounds like slamming!

The ones with grain effect look rather too heavily grained even after a few coats of paint.

Reply to
Guy King

firedoors are crap and some are well made.

With the eggbox types, check to see if you can put the lock on either side. Eggbox doors tend to spoil if you use closers on them.

I doubt you will get firedoors in that style for =A340 but I am only guessing. Normal firedoors are flush ply faced.

Are you certain their dimensions are the same. Some are 40 mm longer. No doubt someone will come along with a link to specifications if you don't rush off to B&Q.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If all you want is a visual divider between rooms, then the cheap B&Q jobs are lightweight (therefore easier to fit) and you will probably find a style to your liking. Make sure you fit the lock and hinges on the correct door edge. There is a block of wood for the latch mechanism in one side only.

If you want any sort of noise barrier look for something more substantial.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The actual measurements are the same & both Jewsons/Focus felt looked the same to me. These are just internal doors not firedoors & thanks for mentioning about only being able to put the latch on one side. Has anyone tried Focus doors or Jen weld. I have Jen weld windows and they are fine so assume doors would also be okay.

Are all these doors made in the same factory or does someone know of a good quality version.

Reply to
technical123

There are hundreds of factories making doors. How some large firms make their money is by screwing them over. A favourite method was hanging onto the money whilst it earned interest, a bit llike lawyers when handling a house sale.

One point I forgot to cover till I saw the doors in the link. Cheap doors will only have the minimum timber in them so you have to put the lock on 1 metre from the bottom (measure that before you cut any off.)

The more expensive doors may or may not have enough timber in the lock side (marked on the top of the door -unless you can use either. Drill in from the side first to make sure.) Also you might get a leaflet about hanging them with a good door.

It is a cut-throat business though, so prices won't vary much on the manufacturing side. Look out for knote in the timber. They will bend the door.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I wonder if Jen weld & focus are exactly the same doors. Would assume Jen weld just buys them in for their catologue for distrobution to Jewsons etc....

Reply to
technical123