MOTs on cars that will fail next one...

No - an advisory is just that - an advisory. There is no compulsion to get an advisory rectified.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think he meant "producer" - take all of your valid docs to show Mr Plod.

Reply to
CB

I don't think a "producer" (a HORT1) was[1] used to show you fixed a defect. I was used to prove you had correct and current insurance/licence/roadtax.

[1] Doubt they are ever issued now as all those can be computer checked from the squad car or over the radio.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Complete and utter bollocks. Would you care to provide the slightest evidence to back that up?

Reply to
Adrian

Seriously? Do you make this up for fun?

Let's say it failed on the rear fog light. Or the numberplate lights. Or a tyre - but that's been changed, although there's not been a chance to retest.

Reply to
Adrian

This looks quite straightforward (and definitive) to me

If your vehicle fails the test You?ll get a ?notification of failure? from the test centre if your vehicle fails the test. The failure will be recorded in the secure central MOT database.

You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your vehicle is unroadworthy.

If the vehicle fails the test and the certificate has expired, you can only drive it to:

have the failed defects repaired a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

Reply to
CB

In article , bert writes

No, that is not the case.

As has already been pointed out, an MOT is valid until its expiry.

Reply to
fred

I can't believe the arm chair crap that is cited here. From as near the horses mouth as you can get:

Specifically the section: "If your vehicle fails the test"

Reply to
Fredxxx

But in differing ways. A shonky numberplate or blown brake lamp and they'll tell you to get it fixed, possibly (as you say later) proving it to them within a certain time. Four bald tyres or completely missing headlamp units would see the car impounded.

Reply to
Chad

At the time of testing is what matters as far as MOTs are concerned. Not sure now what the rules are about using a vehicle on the road form when it fails to when it is retested. You are not obliged to have it retested at the same station though it is usually financially beneficial to do so.

Reply to
bert

So why do you have it tested in the first place?

Reply to
bert

I'm talking about the note you get if pulled by plod for the examples given above not an advisory on an MOT test.

Reply to
bert

And if you were stopped would plod have access to the failed test details?

Reply to
bert

because the existing MOT is due to expire..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , bert writes

That bit isn't clear, though the consumer facing online checker doesn't show it. I checked out of interest last year when I failed the MOT, but still had almost 30 days on the old one, and it didn't get fixed for about a week. It just shew that the current MOT was valid. Police, VOSA etc. might have access to more info.

But as others have said, if the police spot something dodgy with the car they can still prosecute you for the car being unroadworthy

Reply to
Chris French

To get a 1 year certificate.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, that does not sound like a HORT1 "producer".

Can you name what you mean, because I don't know of any such policing device?

Reply to
Tim Watts

The online checker that vehicle traders access does show failed tests, so I'd imagine plod's would too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Put the V5C doc ref in to show the full MOT history, and any and every failed test and advisory since the advent of computerised MOTs are shown.

But whether the test has been failed or hasn't been undertaken doesn't affect the legality of a car with a current MOT. If it's unroadworthy, it's illegal. If it's roadworthy, it's legal.

Reply to
Adrian

So the fail doesn't say the vehicle's "intrinsically unsafe" - not least because not all fails are safety-related.

Nor does the fail cancel out any remaining test, because you may then have resolved the problem.

Reply to
Adrian