Moth damage & prevention thereof

My all-wool suit has moth damage on the lapel!

I have examined my other clothes, and there is no sign (yet!) af any other damage - trust the little buggers to go for the best suit I have.

Any recommendations for prevention of moth damage, apart from the obvious one of naptha balls?

Reply to
Homer2911

Put it in a plastic bag, then put it in the deep freeze.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Insects are repelled by strong smells generally, so any strong whiff you've got sitting around will scare them off. Mothballs last a long long time without evaporating away, hence their use.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Please be more specific - should I put the suit or the moth in the deep freeze?

Reply to
Homer2911

Both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. I have great problems because a lot of our clothes are made from wool and aren't taken out and shaken regularly. Can't do that with balls of knitting yarn anyway.

On the lapel? Not too bad, make a feature of it, wear a badge or even a flower :-)

Most of our wool clothing is mediaeval so it's not important. I notice, though, that the larvae chew through the front, where food is spilt. I think they like tasty fibres ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If there are any moth eggs remaining (it's possible) they won't survive freezing, you should put the whole garment in the freezer. A few days will do it - but then to be sure you'll have to do it fairly often because there will still be adult (egg-laying) moths lurking, looking for a suitable labour wardrobe :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well the answer is simple. Put the Tories back in.

All labour is tedious, dull , painful and its only gratification is that when its finally over, you might have learnt something useful, even if its only never to do it again.

All labour is the result of following an attractive dream, only to wake up to the terrible reality of how wrong you can actually be.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what Mary in the Spectator said too.

Reply to
Doki

T'wasn't me. Is the Spectator still going?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It keeps coming through the letterbox, so I think so.

Reply to
Doki

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"They"? Nothing to do with you, then? Fwiw, I find urban myths particularly annoying, if sometimes amusing for a day or two. The one about the bloke whose granny fell off the roof, like the cat, was a cracker, but can you do anything about that?

Reply to
grimly4