Moter for DIY

I got suck at my project house yesterday, for the 2nd time in a week. The first time I got out when the sun came up, yesterday it never got above 0 to melt the snow. I took the bobcat for a spin, and found a neighbour with a tractor, who had to drag me out in reverse, as my car has no place to tie a tow rope on the front.

This has got me thinking, are there any small 4x4 diesel cars/vans that will tow a tonne in a tralier, and do 50 mpg+

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

not at the same time except perhaps in Holland?

Reply to
Newshound

Your first problem is that the recommendation (although not the law) is that the trailer weighs no more than 80% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle, so your tow car needs to weigh at least 1.25 tonnes. Not exactly "small".

I get about 22mpg towing 1.7 tonnes of trailer and race car behind a Discovery Td5. I can't believe you're going to get 50mpg dragging anything along with an all-up weight of 2.25 tonnes. That's about what the Disco weighs and I get 23mpg round town.

Reply to
Huge

my 307 does 50 mpg towing a tonne. Actually it does better MPG with the trailer on - cause I go slower, neerer 56 mph, than 85mph.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Golf GT TDI 4motion. Blackcircles.com will even sell you some Vredestein Snow Trac 2 to put on it; or your 307.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

This Van GVW=879KG will tow 1100KG as per the manafactuers spec.

Rick

that is.

Reply to
Huge