MOT1 constituents

Regarding MOT1, crusher run, roadstone, whatever you call it, is the balanc e of large bits and fines controlled? I have spread out what was left of an old bag, and there are lots of large bits and not enough fines to consolid ate. I suppose some of it could have washed out over the 5 years it has bee n sitting there. Is it possible to get just the fines in a bag ? I guess this might be the s ame things as some types of self binding gravel. Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

T&P sell 25kg sacks of "grano & dust"

Reply to
Andy Burns

yes. Run a road roller over the bag

I guess this might be the same things as some types of self binding gravel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lance of large bits and fines controlled? I have spread out what was left o f an old bag, and there are lots of large bits and not enough fines to cons olidate. I suppose some of it could have washed out over the 5 years it has been sitting there.

I like it!

Its a good point though, when this stuff is used on roads the compaction pr ocess might be extreme enough to break it up as required, but using for a p atio, drive, etc., a plate compactor will not, so you need a sensible balan ce of particle sizes.

Also noted about the grano to dust.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I had a look on tradepoint as I remembered it not being cheap, it's about 3.70+VAT per bag, also they sell bags of just "dust".

Reply to
Andy Burns

Um. The grano to dust seems to be 6mm to dust.

Probably expensive as it has to be graded, not just a "crusher run". I'll have to get some more bags, and I've never had the problem before so the old stuff probably just lost some fines due to rain, etc.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Yes, I've used a couple of bags of that in the past, not sure how fine the "just dust" is

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , sm_jamieson writes

For Type 1, it is (or should be) pretty tightly controlled, as there is a specification (hence the name) which gives the percentage of particles passing a sieve of a certain size..

Crusher run, and other things less so.

Reply to
Chris French