MOT substitute?

Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension. I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.

Reply to
ct

B&Q warehouses sell bulk bags of ballast. Not quite the same thing, but may do. Else look round for builders doing block paving etc. One of them may have some spare. In fact, I've got half a tonne of MOT here. Where are you ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

any porous hardcore like snmashed up bricks and a bit of sand works pretty well.

Anyway its cheap enough. Use the left overs to make a nice dry raised grassy knoll ;-)

.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which when the stones work their way through the grass make a really good job of cocking up the blades on yer Flymo

But they don't do that. about an inch of topsoil and its fine. Been there, done that..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Half a dozen bags of this?

site here too:

mike

What makes MOT Type 1 roadstone work, is that it has graduated particle size.

So you could try a mixing small bags of 40mm, 20mm and 10mm crushed shingle and sand. It should compact down to a stable base. Just put the real stuff on the surface if the BCO is about.

mark

Reply to
mark

Thanks for the sugestions everyone. A mixture of ballast, shingle and some smashed up concrete I found did a good job.

dan.

Reply to
ct

And put up a sign saying "Book Depository" outside your house.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Cheap shot.

Reply to