Moss resistant patios

16 years agowhen the house was new, I laid a patio in the back garden, using ordinary paving stones left over after the builders had finished. Laid on top of a sub -base of Dolomite / Sharp sand, they've withstood the test of time in stability, but the surface has become very discoloured through moss. Their position on the North facing elevation and in a particularly shaded spot in the garden doesn't help. I am determined to replace them, but what with? Is there commercially available surface which would resist moss?
Reply to
abueloeddie

Pressure wash and apply a moss killing solution.

Nature can grow on any surface, and moss is ideal for soggy dank places. It needs no soil since it acts as its own water retaining sponge..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't you just use a pressure washer to clean them every few years?

Reply to
Toby

I'd second this. I was amazed at the difference it made to our patio. I'd forgotten how nice the paving stones looked until I pressure- washed them. They'd been down for three years, and it wasn't particularly moss so much as general grime.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I'd third that. mine have been down 30 years, and have occasionally been cleaned with either Jeyes fluid or bleach to remove moss/general grime. I've recently done them with a pressure washer, and they came up as new.

Reply to
<me9

How new does a 100 million year old bit of sandstone actually get? ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never heard of anything like that, but you can buy plastic mop buckets that are made with something that prevents bacteria & mould. There is also a type of powder coating (Activecoat) for lockers in hospitals which does the same thing. Wonder if the idea could be applied to slabs?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

replying to The Medway Handyman, creekgirl wrote: No, no, no! Don't powerwash moss off concrete or flagstone! At the level of pressure sufficient to blast off moss, the surface of the concrete or stone becomes abraded. Tiny pock marks trap dirt easier, and moss comes back more embedded and harder to dislodge than ever. Especially tragic to ruin the surface of beautiful, expensive flagstone. Don't ask me how I know......

Reply to
creekgirl

In that case my concrete is already pitted so I think I'll get a man in to do it, after all if at some time I need it to be redone a few more years will be a bonus.

I also have moss on the roof. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's worth knowing, though I suspect the OP has already learnt that after 10 years.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, but the fact remains that its useful. I'm assuming the great portal which ignores years in its date sorting is at work here again then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff