Reply to
fred

Where would i get this stuff from?

Reply to
ste

Don't that on my paintwork ;(

Reply to
ste

Indeed, I'll also have a look in uk.rec.caravanning

Reply to
ste

On paintwork?

Reply to
ste

Start with the right brush. A PVC-bristled "spid" brush is better than the usual washing-up brush, especially in gullies and awning channels.

fluid is good, and discourages further growth, but it's not the most powerful. Start with that, see how you get and come back better-equipped for the sticky bits.

If you're going for acids and you're not an expert chemist, then I'd suggest buying some ready-made car alloy wheel cleaner. There's a lot of aluminium trim on a caravan and you don't want to hurt it.

An alkaline cleaner (potassium hydroxide, try "Muc-off" mountain bike cleaner) is effective too, but can be a problem on aluminium. It's OK on caravans if you rinse well afterwards, but don't use it on a good bike!

If there's fabric (e.g. Landrover hoods) involved, or old fibreglass with a porous surface, then a mix of detergent and oxalic acid is best. You can buy this as wooden patio decking cleaner.

If you're made of money, go to a yacht chandlers. They're the experts on this.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

ste, don't go there!

Do ask in the caravan ng.

uk.rec.caravanning.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, caravan people are the experts.

Caravans aren't boats.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They are boats that don't have to float or cope with slat water.

Getting moss/lichen of cars and caravans is simple. Pressure wash them. If ts not coming off use more pressure. Chemicals of any sport will not do the trick.

If paint lifts, repaint. If mastic lumps fly out, re caulk the seams.

Follows with a bit of T-cut to remove any surface paint staining, and a damn good wax polish to make sure its THAT that gets stained next time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt that it would do much harm to the paintwork. You only need a very dilute solution to kill the algae.

Reply to
clot

Maybe, but boats are just caravans stored in perpetual proximity to water. They have awful moss problems.

Fortunately boat owners have developed techniques for removing same. Scrubbing with a wad of rolled-up tenners is the usual start.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

See:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks, Pete, I'm very diappointed in the few replies from the caavanning ng.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I could try a diluted solution, thanks.

ste

Reply to
ste

Loads of stuff on there, thanks

ste

Reply to
ste

It seams like elbow grease is the only way to go even though i was hoping for a none energetic method.

ste

Reply to
ste

Thanks, chemicals and elbow grease apparently is the way to go ;)

ste

Reply to
ste

It's literally only a few parts per million to do its magic. It was a technique that was used by water utilities to kill off irregular and rare algal blooms in raw water reservoirs. Such blooms could cause havoc to the treatment process and allow organic residues into the water mains that would then act as food to wonderful little creatures that folk do not like to see in their glass of refreshing cold water! I doubt that it is in common use today. Environmentalists for one got upset that it was affecting the "natural" ecology of the reservoirs by killing off food for the invertebrates that in turn fed the fish that in turn fed the otters and birds.They seem to forget the fact that the reservoirs were built to supply water for man!

Seriously, apply and leave for a couple of days and then get on with cleaning it!

Good luck.

Reply to
clot

Elbow grease is still required. I have the T shirt. Critical bit is to get it really clean and then, when dry more elbow grease by polishing!

Reply to
clot

Interesting, a few years ago we could smell and taste bleach in our tap water and i phoned the local water authority for an explanation, they said because of the hot whether they add more chlorine into the water system to combat bacteria, but at that time we had a sudden cold spell so the added Chlorine was unneeded which is why we could taste it, we have used a water filter since and drink purer water allegedly anyway.

However I'll have a go at the caravan, although i probably could have used that Chlorine water to clean the van with.

cheers

ste

Reply to
ste