mosquito circuit diaugram?

Has anyone got a mosquito circuit - one of those devices that projects HF audio? I see from the web the price for these things is ~£400. I guess the expensive bit *may* the transducer that can produce audio power at at about 20kHz. A few milliwatts is easy but 10's of watts not so easy I think. Just be interested to see how it's done.

Reply to
dave

No, transducer is about a fiver -- it's a peizo horn tweeter.

Cost is probably a significant chunk profit (assuming the product is protected by effective patents to prevent others producing them) which will initially be repaying the development research, and another chunk public liability insurance against future medical claims (just because you can't hear a frequency, it doesn't mean it's not damaging your hearing).

I doubt power output is anything like 10W. If you made one which was, you might well damage the heath of those nearby.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just don't complain if the youths start playing really loud music next to your place if you start playing really loud noise at them. If its OK for you to do it you can't exactly say they can't.

Reply to
dennis

Or that of babies. I can very well imagine someone who discovers (a) their baby has impaired hearing (b) you've been blasting it with hf audio getting the lawyers on to you. Could be unpleasant ("baby maimer" headlines) and expensive, whether your device actually caused the problem or not. And if it's not even a tested device but something you knocked up yourself ... I wouldn't like to be in your shoes.

If you're after repelling local yoofs I hear classical musak is effective.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks for putting words into my mouth and deciding my intentions there. I am the last person to do what you suggest anyway so I'll certainly have no trouble "not complaining". If anything, it's folk around here creating the din no me.

I have no interest in using one of these things for any purpose other than interest value. Therefore the replies to points I didn't raise are not really relevant (to me). Secondly I do understand a modest amount about blasting high voulme sound at *anyone's* ears and have no intention of doing so.

If is possible to stay ot here - and just to follow up to Andrew G, the piezo devices I've seen (spec sheets) are nothing like 20kHz. It was some time ago bit I thinkl was up around 12khz and some (cheaper ones) much lower than that. Hence the reason I think to "do it properly" the piezo horns we see may be all smoke and mirrors - as a real one could well cost £££.

Tech follow ups appreciated.

Reply to
dave

You want something like maplin's RC99H

Reply to
dennis

I don't think so. 400W at up to 20KHz - ouch! but they have two others with lower (150w) ratings and a 40KHz limit.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , dave wrote

£5 - 4KHz to 40KHz - 150W peak (75W RMS)
Reply to
Alan

Yes, could be very ugly. If your child was diagnosed as deaf, and you then discovered that the shop across the road had been blasting this device out for prolonged periods, you might well feel there was a connection (and indeed there might be).

I can't see the manufacturers sticking around to clear up the mess if that happens. The compensation cases will be brought against the premises and persons who actually used these appalling sonic weapons, and they'll then try to recover their losses or indemnify themselves by bringing the manufacturers into the picture. The manufacturers have no other significant product or income stream, so they'll quickly go into liquidation.

Reply to
Steve Walker