Mortice gauge points ~ anyone ever had to replace these?

Good evening folks. I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used. The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless. I've carefully filed them a few times but they now need replacing.

All are steel points in brass. The holes in the back side of the brass are smaller than the points. I've not yet attacked them with anything. Just hoping someone here might have some knowledge or experience of such.

Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Dont know but it sounds like a taper, just knock them out from the rear with something that fits the hole in the back and replace them with new made from something like piano wire. Unless they are threaded which I doubt.

Reply to
F Murtz

Tap out the old ones, drill to size and superglue / loctite a pair of good old fashioned gramophone needles in their place.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The reason that the holes at the back are smaller is to allow you to punch the old ones out with an approprite sized punch or masonry nail and then when you force fit a new one it won't slide straight out the back. If it's a close enough fit then its not going to go anywhere and so no adhesive is necessary. Which makes it, in it's turn, easier to replace when the time comes.

michael adams

michael adams