More stupidness at the rubbish dump

Probably not as much.The 'high' prices quoted by the press etc are for large amounts between dealers, the amount paid to anyone weighing in are an awful lot less.

Also, scrap prices have dropped significantly over the last few weeks. I got £2.50/kg for 'brazier' copper a few weeks ago - that's copper pipe that has soldered or compression joints on it. Plain, clean copper pipe was £3/kg. Any paint on it, and it was down to £2.50/kg again. 'Light iron/steel' which is raditators and all other small steel scrap was around 15p/kilo. See the prices here:

These prices just about equate to what I was paid last month for a mixed load. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Which makes the average ton of surplus car, around £150 in steel value alone...No ownder poel are not leaving em in the streets anymore..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And gives the council a wonderful opportunity to claim "success" in=20 their campaign to stop cars being dumped left, right and centre.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wouldn't that be then classed as "Hazardous Waste" though?

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

The scrap yard was having it's annual arson attack where loads of tyres manage to get disposed of without costing the scrap owners anything. Kids always get blamed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Does your local council support any healthy living or eating initiatives?

The contradiction might be amusing for the local press.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or "Hazardous Just Below the Waste" :-)

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

So that when you go back next week with seven more he can show that he was right

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Yes the =A37,000+/tonne is the trading market rate. I more or less halve= d that for my guesstimation. Looks like 1/3 is a better multiplier for brazier copper.

I have quite a bit of pipe offcuts, some painted, some clean, some with =

fittings. For 50p/kilo it's probably worth the time at least cutting off= the soldered ends and removing the fittings not so sure about cleaning (removing shafts, packing, washers ect) from any valves though.

All I need to do is find a scrappy that pays cash that isn't going to co= st me more in fuel to get there and back.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I hope my brother does not go there then. It was his car!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Price is dropping now down to £85 a ton, (blast.....have about a ton of cast including a bath) I was speaking to a scrappy today, he reckoned theres not a scrap car left in Glasgow!!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes