More Part P confusion.

A neighbour of mine has just finished a loft conversion (he's a builder) and was complaining that the Building Inspector is demanding a "Part P" certificate for the new wiring. The Inspector has signed everything else off. A mate of his who is an electrician told him he could get the "Part P" forms from the NIC-EIC.

Under the circumstances, what's to stop him buying some forms from an electrical wholesaler and just filling them in? Given that Building Control are refusing to do their job and "Part P" is irrelevant, I'd be tempted to do it.

tom.harrigan

Why risk problemns with fake certs when you should just tell the BI to do his job properly or you'll make a formal complaint to the local government ombudsman.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

his job properly or

Why would the certificates be fake? As far as I can tell, if the BCO wants a "Part P" certificate before he will sign the work off, that is his decision. According to Part P, unregistered installers should not arrange for a third party inspection and test anyway. According to Part P, the BCO is supposed to have done it. So, why not deem yourself "qualified" and just fill in the forms. I'm not suggesting for one minute that the forms would be completed incorrectly or dishonestly.

tom.harrigan

his job properly or

The BCO goes online and logs in to a list of registered installers.

If you're not on the list, you don't get in.

dg

Reply to
dg

do his job properly or

You don't have to be registered to fill in a form. You don't have to be registered to do any electrical work whatsoever.

tom.harrigan

do his job properly or

You only have to be a registered installer to self certify (ie/not need the services of the BCO). If the BCO is involved - under a building notice or full plans application - then it's HIS job to certify the electrics meet the requirements of part P (just as it's his job to certify that the buidling meets part A, etc)

Phil.

Reply to
Phil