More on Propane heating

As posted previously, I have a gas tank (long black re-fillable thing which used to be fitted to a motor home) with a load of Propane in it.

Looking at using up the Propane providing some heating to the (large, block built) shed.

I see

which looks pretty reasonable, and not too powerful. 4.5kW should be about right.

The description includes "FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY" which I assume means don't use it in domestic premises because of ventilation etc.

Wondering if it would be safe to use in a shed/workshop - and how do you tell?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Buy a canary. ;-)

More seriously, anything discharging all its combustion products into the same space as yourself is always going to be a little bit dodgy but I survived holidays in a caravan with a non vented gas fire when I was a child.

I'd just make sure that you have some ventilation and get a carbon monoxide alarm. Very cheap these days.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's a radiant heater, isn't it, so perhaps intrinsically a bit less safe than the "jet engine" type which are sometimes used in large warehouse / factory type spaces. The domestic/caravan non vented gas burners normally had open flames, not radiant elements. OTOH about 35 years ago there were "eye level grills" on domestic cookers which used natural gas heating a ceramic to red heat without any special ventilation requirements. (I'm pretty certain that Doner Kebab burners are now always used with forced ventilation hoods).

Don't disagree with Tim that a CO alarm would be a reasonable precaution.

Reply to
newshound

Once upon a time..... imagine a power station, whose 500 MW alternators are cooled by internal circulation of hydrogen, and liberally plastered with "No Smoking" signs. Nearby picture CEGB security bloke, warming his cockles on just such a heater. I didn't linger.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Didn't know about hydrogen cooling, ta for the encouragement to read a bit (ie wikipedia :-) ) about it.

Reply to
Clive George

Before and after maintenance they are purged using CO2.

A power station which had been extended only had a regulating valve in the hydrogen line where a shut-off valve should have been. After some maintenance work, having been boxed up again, the electrical kit was high-voltage tested. Enough hydrogen had seeped past the inappropriate valve for there to be a significant explosion.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Though to be fair, hydrogen leaking from an alternator would normally go straight up, and turbine halls are pretty well ventilated. There don't seem to be that many hydrogen fires or explosions given the amount of plant using it for cooling, and normally associated with some gross error during handling of new stocks.

Don't disagree that one sometimes saw *interesting* things in the old days! Safety awareness has become much higher in the past 25 years or so. I think Piper Alpha was one of the triggers.

Reply to
newshound

In article , David writes

Liquid or vapour take-off?

Reply to
bert

Vapour take off - same principle as the portable red tanks, but when fitted to the Motor Home it has a larger capacity and can be re-filled at petrol stations with automotive Propane.

Used for gas heating and cooking and fridge.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David